1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students talking about progress during observations

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by dawesc, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest any advice regarding the following?
    Like most schools we have gone down the route of identifying students' target levels or grades on the front of their exercise books and including their current working level or grade.
    I am now hearing from colleagues in other authorities that during observations if students have to look at their prompt sheet or cannot talk about how to move towards the next level or grade then they are not aware of how to progress.
    What have other schools done to get students familiar with talking about how to progress, current levels or grades working at or achieved
    Any suggestion much appreciated.
    Caroline

2. Maybe this doesn't help but I thought labeling books with target grades was abandoned years ago - are you sure it's most schools? I used to label books in some schools (Midlands) but when AfL grew popular it was dropped as a bad idea - the more you focus on extrinsic goals the more the pupils look at hoop jumping rather than at their understanding - hence a drop in performance. Once I'd banned the labelling county advisors got a bit snippy but Ofsted didn't care about the label - they just wanted to know whether students knew what to do about their weaknesses.

3. Thank you for that I hadn't done the targets on the front of books until I came here where it was common practice.

How do you get students to talk about their understanding and demonstrate that they know what to do about their weaknesses - our students seem happy to go 'I don't know!'

4. I know what you mean - an "I don't know" gets them out of anything.
    Maybe try getting them to analyse tests or homeworks and have them write out their weaknesses and strengths as they see it in the back of their books?