1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students taking photos of teachers and posting them on Facebook

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Caz Gaiger, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Not sure I am in the correct forum but am looking for some guidance.
    My headteacher called me to his office to tell me that a student had taken a photograph of my bottom and posted it on Facebook. I was bending down talking to a student at the time. I teach ICT and my classroom is laid out so that in order to speak to half the class, I have to have my back to the other half. I do not tolerate phones out in my classroom and the school code of conduct is that phones are neither seen nor hear and are confiscated if they are.
    I had no idea this had happened.

The photo was commented upon by a number of students in the school and a number of derisive comments were made about the image, myself and other members of staff.
    This came to light after one of our LSAs saw the image on her daughters' comments and screen printed it and brought it in. The student involved has been in trouble previously for posting abusive comments about staff members on Facebook.

Has any one else had experience of this type of event and what was the outcome? Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
    Caz

2. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

I had an abusive facebook page set up about me. A number of students commented, both abusively and positively (which was nice).

The students involved all had their parents brought in and 2 of them had fixed term exclusions.

The school/LA had the page removed within a day or two. I never got to see it.

It still makes me very concerned about what is on facebook and other sites. I am not registered on these sites so I have no idea what is written about me or other members of staff. How can this be policed?

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Do you have a school police officer liaison? If so, let them know about this: there's a dedicated unit at Scotland Yard that tackles exactly this kind of thing, and if Facebook are informed about any infringments of their terms and conditions, they will not only delete the data, they also delete the entire account. Which for many teenagers is the equivalent of being dropped off a cliff- they have difficulty starting another account, and if they do then they have to build up their social web from scratch. It is also, I must say, tremendously satisfying.
    If you don't, it might still be very worth your time reporting this to your friendly neighbourhood Bobbie; it is, of course, an enormous annoyance that police should have to get involved, but the cost to your reputation makes this worthwhile. Children should never be in a position where they can mock their teachers openly. Of course they're entitled to their pointless, banal opinions, but they certainly don't have the right to humiliate or mock people in a public space, i.e. the internet.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/