1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students refusing to leave at the end of a lesson

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by tapsmith, Mar 28, 2019.

1. tapsmith

tapsmith New commenter

Bit of an odd one this, I started teaching this year, initially as a trainee, but as a consequence of a teacher needing to step down from ill health, I have deferred my training and have spent this term as a full time unqualified teacher. The year 13s have recently started to challenge the authority of the HoD, they have been playing truant from her lessons and frequently complain about her teaching in my lesson. Today I had a lesson where a year 13 class were due to have a lesson with the HoD straight after, at the end of the lesson they refused to leave saying they would rather have a double with me. I didn't really know how to react, thankfully the head of sixth form was walking past and he only had to poke his head in the door and they left. I was just wondering how people would attempt to convince such a large number of students to leave.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it is quite a common form of attempted coercive control and needs fast, firm, non negotiable consequences, what ever is the policy in your school, but definitely include phone the parents and complain.

Its crucial that you and the HOD show a united front

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Tell the students that a double lesson with you isn't an option. They are required to attend the lesson they are timetabled for. Remain professional and explain that if they wish to complain about the teaching of any member of staff they should do so by talking to the appropriate member of the SLT. Remind them that during your lessons they should be focusing on their work not gossiping/moaning. After your lessons they should leave your room and go straight to their next lesson. If they refuse to do so, follow the school's usual disciplinary procedure.

CraigCarterSmith and pepper5 like this.
  4. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

I agree that it is important to support the HOD by clearly telling them not to complain to you. Kids will often criticise one teacher to another, although typically less common by sixth form. Make it clear you're not interested in hearing it and if there is a real problem, they need to discuss it with the head of sixth form.

How is behaviour in general in the sixth form? It should be good! Speak to the head of the year yourself perhaps and get him/her involved in reminding the students how to behave. The benefit of sixth form is that you can threaten to kick them off courses which generally works wonders for improving behaviour/getting work completed.

agathamorse likes this.