1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students put off studying science by schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by msuxg, Feb 9, 2016.

1. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

A new report lays the blame at, among other things, schools that only recommend STEM subjects to 'ultra-bright' students, and the practice of streaming students into combined or separate science groups at GCSE.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So what age range are we talking about?
    In mainstream schools almost all students do at least double science as far as GCSE, with concessions for only the most limited of learners. It is only post GCSE that any recommendations might happen - and the truth is that A level sciences are only for the brightest of students.
    Streaming is a way to try to target teaching to ability - it has its flaws but the experience in the schools I've worked in is that it works better than mixed ability teaching. Many schools do not allow enough time for 3 science GCSEs to be taught in the same time slot as three other GCSEs - a school I used to know well "did" triple science in the time slot of 1.8 GCSEs. Why mix the high achievers with the disruptors - who probably disrupt more when all the complicated A* stuff is on the agenda?
    What is the % loss of interest in other subjects? Is it better or worse than science? A fair number of teenagers lose interest in all subjects.
    The report makes no mention of courses like level 3 BTEC applied science, which does offer a route for the slightly less bright students to continue science post 16, and indeed has led to students I have taught going to university to continue their science education.
    I am quite cross about this - lots of grumbling and blame the teachers instead of trying to find constructive solutions. I worked hard to try to get as many kids to do science as possible - but I wasn't going to waste their time by encouraging onto courses where there was no chance of success.

wanet likes this.
  3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Vince_Ulam, wanet and msuxg like this.
  4. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

Can't we just accept that people have different interests?

I'm just not that interested in science. I much prefer the humanities.

No amount of STEM cheerleading will persuade me that moving colourless liquids between test tubes is fascinating. Much like nothing will persuade my wife that watching 22 men kicking a ball about on a field is entertaining despite billions of others thinking it is.

5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

AT Kearney and their shills can go stuff themselves.

This repetitive clickbait on an forum for education news is proving tiresome.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I suspect that someone is being paid by the link-click.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.