1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students out of lessons -what to do?

Discussion in 'English' started by install, Jul 8, 2017.

1. install

install Star commenter

There are pupils constantly taken out of lessons without my permission and consequently results for some maybe affected this year due to lost time. I have requested a summary of all trips and events since the start of the year to guage how many hrs of learning have been affected.

Yet no one is keen to hand over the info? Any ideas anyone....

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Look at your register? Our school system allows us to see absences across the dates you put in so I can see that little Jemima has missed twenty lessons due to trips, visits, prefect duties, interviews, careers stuff, athletics competitions etc. Maybe ask whoever's in charge of the school register system to do it for you.

install likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Does that work? Don't forget the school has to have good attendance so the / in SIMS has to be there.
    Taken out for a talk with HoY ....../
    Intervention....../
    Ill but can't go home....../
    Sent home to change into uniform....../
    Being rewarded by HT....../

In one sense it's correct in that there are educated off site and visits options but it's far too easy to get the attendance mark legitimately without setting foot in your classroom.

The only sure option (and the best way to point out that numerical PM targets are unachievable) is to note each absence. Then at the next PM meeting you produce this but is it really worth the time that takes?

install and pepper5 like this.
  4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

You'll have to get this info yourself, I'm afraid. Been there, done that - I just back-read through the weekly briefings and the term calendar and took note of how many extra trips and events had clashed with English - and presented it to SLT. Had to be done!

install likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Thanks everyone - yes looking at register will work for some. But others have been taken out of lessons for about 30 mins and then returned.

For some it comes to weeks worth of lessons over time , even though they have been in for part of lessons - hence the reason why I wanted details from others.

The issue I may have is that it may not be believed if I don't get the info back...

Guess I will have to just to find it myself and present the findings. Although I am struggling to understand why others would not have the info of students taken out...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter

Keep your own notes if you must. But what's the point? If you're worried these kids are going to have poor results, it's probably much deeper than being taken out of your lessons. And of course being taken out for 'deeper' reasons only adds to the likelihood of them not doing so well in your lessons. And round and round we go.

At the end of the day, it is highly unlikely SLT will give a rat's ass about why your results are low for certain individuals. If they're being taken out regularly, they know and don't need minutes and seconds to prove it.

I realise it's frustrating - I do truly empathise but you're in a system that's much bigger than you and ultimately cares little for the minutiae. Your domain is the classroom so you'll lose a lot less sleep if you just focus on what you can control rather than what you can't.

But what can you do to stop feeling powerless? Breathe. Focus on the students you have in front of you and be sympathetic to those who miss content. If you've a VLE, direct them to the materials they may have missed. If you don't, stick it in Google Drive, share the link and at least they can find it when they need to. Will they care? Will they look at it? Who knows - given they're going through god-knows-what in these takeout sessions - but at least you've done something to remediate the constant interruptions.

Best of luck.

install likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Thanks for this- but it amounts to alot of pupils...thats alot. So I fully intend to add it all together..

The thing is they are not taken out of other subjects so it seems a trifle unfair.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

Keep a very full record of when they were taken out. Keep that handy during your performance management next year. If necessary, INSIST that your line manager includes it in the documentation.

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Thanks for this - the level of time missed is increasingly concerning me. Its coming to the equivalent of weeks overall of missed lessons when the time is added up...

10. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I think it is definitely worth getting some records - particularly if your performance review will be partly about these results. You may not be able to get exact records for everything - so your own rough estimate may be useful here. I also get the overall % attendance figures for my exam classes (this is easy to get off our system, but may not help you with some of the internal removals...). If it really is your subject more than others being removed, you could also think about how you want to proceed in future - it will be easier to start keeping records in Sept. than getting ones retrospectively now, and perhaps get HOD support to have these meetings take place at a different time whenever possible.

install likes this.
  11. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Definitely keep your own records.
    I'd email the relevant people mid way through the year expressing your concerns. If you do this then you have the evidence of your concerns, so if students then do badly they can't blame you.

install likes this.
  12. siege

siege New commenter

I have noted in my planner every child who is late (by how many minutes) and/or away/taken out for a reason such as LAMDA, music lesson etc and/or absent for any reason.
    At the end of the year, it is easy, but time consuming, to calculate.
    However, it IS worthwhile - one of my low achievers last year had missed nearly 30% of lesson time.

install likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Thanks for this - yes quite a few are taken out for 'other' subjects. It is disheartening to see but I guess thats the way things are.

14. rgordo

rgordo New commenter

I notice that students taken out of my lessons for sport usually do poorly academically. However, the coaches do place high standards on students completing missed work, and as a result the sporty kids often DO their homework, but miss out on the content from class.

install likes this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

That is what I am experiencing but we don't get the time back to catch up with the missed work out of the school day or near the point at which the topic is being covered....

My concern is that it is being allowed on such a big scale in all years and with little or no warning.