1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students do not like being disciplined so complained to SLT now I am being investgated

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by delmamerchant, Mar 12, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

There are a group of 6 challenging students in my form. The other day they managed to convince 8 other students to walk out during form time, they were protesting that I had told them off re telling me what my job was and giving them a detention.

When they sauntered back in, they refused to give me their diaries or write their names down on a sheet. They had clearly ganged up and decided yo do this.

I had warned the head of year about their behaviour so fortunately she walked in whilst this was happening.

They were given a detention but were quite unrepentant.

I followed procedure and made calls home but cpold not get through to all parents.

I was then asked to not make any phone calls home and told in an email that my head of year wanted to talk to me.

It was only when I contacted her on Friday morning did she say that she would speak to me and someone would cover my form.

I thought that she wanted to speak to me about the incident and was investigating re who had instgated it, instead, i found out that I am being investigated as the students havecomplained that I treat them badly.

This was shocking as my HOY is fully aware that this form have been consistently challenging.

This is just not my year. Feeling so unsupported.

2. miss_saigon

miss_saigon New commenter

I am very sorry to hear that the HoD & senior management did not support you.

Are you in the Union? You need to contact your local Rep. Also keep the diary of the events, dates & times, names of students etc. Good luck!

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

As mentioned create a log of anything you have done re these students.e.g. meetings/conversations re theses students' behaviour, phone calls home (whether you got through or not. Support these, where you can, with hard data e.g.. entries on school 'behaviour systems', emails concerning their behaviours etc. Add to this all recent actions and events meetings etc

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@delmamerchant : I am very sorry this has happened to you. As others have said, you need to get in touch with your union at branch level. Although you were told that it was the students who made the complaints, I am pretty sure that some parents have complained as well, or have been encouraged to do so. Perhaps you have one of those spineless SMTs who find it easier, or more expedient, to side with parents against the staff. It is so much easier to blame the victim, after all.

thistledoo, tonymars, pepper5 and 3 others like this.
  5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

14 kids! That's half the form, isn't it? The original 6 plus another 8?

Do as others have suggested. Remember though that most schools will struggle with student insurrections at this level. Try to concentrate your fire on one or two and keep the others onside. It's a very common response, when faced with these numbers, to assume it's the teacher who's being unreasonable and has provoked such a response.

Don't end up abandoned by your managers AND reviled by the students.

thistledoo, pepper5 and Laphroig like this.
  7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

There should be policies and procedures in place to support you and the students. It is likely that this is being investigated because a complaint has been made - so procedures have to be followed. If you have logged everything and you have followed agreed behaviour policies yourself, you should be fine.
    What is rubbish is that you should be made to feel like this - not very supportive behaviour from your SLT.
    Do as suggested and contact your union.

You original post is quite detailed and I would be worried that you could be identified from this amount of information. You may wish to request it is removed.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

how horrible for you. Your students sound like a bunch of bullies. Hopefully the "investigation" will lay the blame well and truly at the feet of the students who instigated it. Of course, if the school lets them get away with this sort of behaviour, you won't be the only one at the receiving end.

tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

I will say only one further thing.

I did hear of this sort of thing once in my career. In that case the teacher was absurdly heavy-handed and I didn't blame the students for staging a revolt.

Remember we only ever hear one side of any of these accounts.

I don't know what went awry here but hope it can be all be righted and everybody will behave as befits their station.

I say this only because of the numbers involved. A very great pity it has got to this point. So something is certainly going badly wrong at this school.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It is possible that you may need to look at how you treat your students in future.

pepper5 and Pomz like this.
  11. delmamerchant

There were orginally 2 of us. The other teacher was quite an authritarian and she insisted on coping with all of the issues. Because of this, they were always complaining about her to me. When she left, I had to step up. They cannot cope with the fact that I am not letting them have their own way and that I am not the walk over that they thought I was going to be.

I take full responsibility for their orginal perception but they shouldbe over it now.

Thank you for your comments

thistledoo likes this.
  12. delmamerchant

Thank you but it is not at all detailed, there is so much more.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

It helps to have a bit more context. Thank you.

Do you think you have handled it a little differently than you would have done - given that this woman preceded you and perhaps queered the pitch for you? Has this affected your behaviour management?

pepper5 likes this.
  14. delmamerchant

I am constantly refelcting on how I can improve the situation, I even let them choose their own seating arrangements.
    I alwasy speak to them politely and quietly, then I raise my voice/project m,y voice, then they respond. i then say, I have spoken to you quietly and it is only when I have raised my voice(not shouted) that you listen.
    I have applied to go on a behaviour management course also.
    When I actually do tell them off, some of them ask me if i am ok? It has been like this from the start of the year adn i have constantly asked for support.

thistledoo likes this.
  15. delmamerchant

There is a lot of resentment because I have had to make calls home due to their constant low level disruptive behaviour, they support their friends.
    the reason they have complained is that their walk out did not achieve the desired effect, it sort of backfired, this is why they complained.

thistledoo and pepper5 like this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If I were you I would definitely not be letting them choose their own seating arrangements.
    They don't sound like the kind of class who can yet cope with that freedom.

I'd not make any big changes this side of Easter, assuming you only have a couple of weeks left.
    But do let them know that there will be changes after Easter and so they need to come back expecting a massive improvement in form time.

Then sort out a seating plan of your choosing. Be ruthless about splitting up those you want apart and do not give in to any pleading or wheedling.
    Let them in to the room one at a time and wait until the pupil is seated and doing as asked before you let the next in.
    Sort out a timetable of activities. For example
    Monday:private reading. Tuesday: Thinking puzzle on board, they work in silence and then share at the end when YOU tell them. Wednesday: Discussion on some current affair topic of YOUR choosing. Thursday: Class novel reading. Friday: Silent personal study
    Be a total dragon in enforcing the behaviour YOU want.

Sod the quiet and polite. Be firm and assertive. If they don't respond then repeat the instruction and let them know it is the second time you've directed them to do X and if they still won't respond you will send them to the HOY or next door class or whoever. If you keep calm and quiet voiced, they will be calmer.

Good luck. Turning a class around is bloo dy hard work, but totally possible and you can do it.

FormosaRed, thistledoo, Moony and 6 others like this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

When you say they are complaining about the way you've treated them, is what they say basically true-as in you are strict but other teachers allow bad behaviour? You might find you have a lot of support from SOME of the parents. I was once in a situation where most teachers-and the SLT-let children misbehave. It didn't get that far, but what was interesting is how lots of the students and their parents were actually very supportive.Plus there were enough 'real' teachers left-it must be very hard if no-one else in the school wants to be anything but mates with the kids.

thistledoo and pepper5 like this.
  18. meggyd

meggyd Occasional commenter

I agree about having a seating plan and set routines. Also have you thought about giving them responsibility. Have a system of rotating monitors maybe and then praise praise praise. Get the nice ones onside.

19. delmamerchant

very morning, they were all in the classroom when I walked in,despite being told that they shouild wait outside. They(the walk outs sat down quickly when I came in. I praised them for sitting down rather then telling them to line up outside. We then proceded to the morning activity, and I was lenient re sanctioning those who werenot prepared, sayign that I was so impressed with the way they were behaving. Then the walk out happened.

Has anyone else ever had a class like this?

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You needed to send them out and make them line up and be firm about the fact they had gone in without being allowed.
    If they weren't prepared then you needed to be firm about that to. Follow the school policy.
    Praise for anyone who had waited outside.
    Praise for those who were prepared.
    DO NOT praise those doing what they ought not.
    DO NOT praise them for breaking the school rules. (going in the room, not being prepared.)
    How are they supposed to work out which rules they have to follow and which they do not, if you can't decide?

Yes, I've had many, many classes like this. DO NOT allow them to take the mick the way they are.
    If you don't follow school policy and procedures, then they aren't going to.

thistledoo and needabreak like this.