1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students and questionnaires

Discussion in 'Geography' started by NickLapthorn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. I am not aware that there ever were 'rules' about asking questionnaires. It may have been a school or LA policy. To my best knowledge it should be a matter of inclusing it in your risk assessment under a 'stranger danger' type section and giving good guidance before they go out;
    - always work in at least pairs (but not massive packs)
    - explain what it is about and why
    - keep all converstation purely about the questionnaire
    - any other questions that you feel uncomfortable with stop the questionnaire and return to a meeting point.
    I have been conduting questionnaires with groups from KS2 to A2 for over15 years on pretty much a weekly basis and i have never come across anything untoward. Its all about good group and fieldwork management.
    If you would like any help /guidance you can get hold of me via http://www.geography.org.uk/aboutus/committeesspecialinterestgroups/lotcsig/
    Questionniares are a great fieldwork as well as social skill to develop. i hope your colleagues change in rules make sit easier to do rather than harder.
    Nick

2. Thanks for the reply. I have never come across any specific guidance. We are very close to our small town centre which we can access in a lesson. We need to be doing more out-of-classroom learning anyway so I aim to introduce this next year. Will just have to fill in all the risk assessment forms!