1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

student with possible autism

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by musova, Jan 25, 2016.

1. musova

musova New commenter

We are an Independent Sixth Form College. One of our students (aged 17) joined us last Sept. His previous school suggested autism but parents did not want a 'label' so have asked us not to mention anything to the teachers or the student.
    Am wondering if, as a 'duty of care' we neglecting the students' needs if we ignore/deny suggestions of autism?
    Would appreciate advice/expert opinions.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Don't think of it as a ' label ' . I am aware of parents who have thought this way and refused investigation and intervention. Consider the way he presents as a 'signpost ' not a diagnosis and then accommodate as best you can. Other colleagues here may be able to offer better advice.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Any support needs should become apparent they way they would for any pupil. A diagnosis can sometimes release funding but really we should all be ensuring we do our best for individual pupils anyway.

The one thing I always remind people of is that pupils with autism are as varied in their preferences and needs as any other group. What works for one will be anathema to another. That's why a "label" can be counterproductive if all it does is encourage people to use a set list of strategies that they have been told work with autism.

jumpingstar likes this.
  4. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Think "sensory" first. A simple thing we've found in my school is to check whether or not the autistic pupil needs glasses. Glasses with/without lenses and allowing earphones can help focus pupil. A lot of autistic pupils prefer that isolation.

5. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I would just consider his strengths and needs as you would with any pupil and how best to support him

6. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

Support him as a child who was autistic if you feel he displays traits. It is not about getting the diagnoses, you are only failing him if you don't give him the support he needs! Respect his parents wishes!