1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Voice Interview- Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by galv2809, Jul 3, 2017.

1. galv2809

galv2809 New commenter

Hello there,

I am a primary teacher of two years and am currently trying to leave the profession but continue working with young people.

I am currently a supply teacher, and on Friday I have an interview for a charity who work with school councils across Portsmouth to help with youth engagement. The role I am going for is Head of Student Voice Academy. My duties are as follows:

• To coordinate and deliver all Student Voice Academy work.
      • Organise and facilitate 9 inspiring student summits across the academic year – this could be more depending on demand. These summits are whole-day events which are youth-led with over 50 young people attending. This includes liaising with multiple schools per event, including Primary and Secondary schools.
      • Organise and facilitate 3 exciting young people’s’ celebration and sharing-of-good-practice events – this could be more depending on demand. These are whole-day events and often include over 80 students. This includes liaising with multiple schools per event.
      • Work with mentors to support young people’s action groups which arise out of the student summits.
      • With support from the rest of the team, provide support and opportunities for young people you work with where possible.
      • Work with the Directors to involve more schools in Student Forums where a forum already exists and bring in new student voice related contracts.
    • To deliver training and workshop packages if and when needed.
      • Delivering training and workshop packages to young people across the South East. Training on how to deliver these workshops is provided.
    Basically I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up about what kind of questions I should expect and how best I should go about presenting myself to give me the best chance! Very nervous but very excited about the possibility of working here.

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

To anticipate questions, think about the examples of what you have done. Think about your career so far and write down your best examples on one side of A4 or create a mind map - then you can answer lots of questions based on your experience.

I have based these questions on the duties you have outlined above - because they will want to know if you can do the job. How will you answer these?
    • Tell me about a time when you organised a successful event for children
    • How do you celebrate the achievements of students?
    • How would you work with others to support the actions of young people?
    • What opportunities do you think are important for students in Portsmouth?
    • What would an excellent student forum look like?
    • Give an example of training you ran. What was the impact?
    Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how it went.

3. galv2809

galv2809 New commenter

Thank you that's super, super helpful!