1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student thinking of mastering in masters

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bethan_welling, Aug 8, 2017.

1. bethan_welling

bethan_welling New commenter

I studied in Paris Sorbonne, in the geography and urban planning program. I'm due to start my masters, I did choose sustainable architecture. However, I have previous nursery experience and I'm due to start again this September to fund my masters. I've decided now, given the massive demand for teaching that a masters in education is a good idea. I'm fluent in French and Arabic. The thing is it will be in Abu Dhabi university as they've offered me a scholarship. My first question is, do you think that this degree will be accepted in your home country + other European ones? As I am British. Whats your opinion on my decision too? Thank you,

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If you want to teach children, do a teaching qualification like the PGDE/PGCE rather than a masters in education.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Consider your motive ? - you are doing an advanced accreditation because of a scholarship and this is driving your decision to teach ? Agree that theory / practical / hands on / crucially RELEVANT qualification is your starting point.

4. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

A masters in education will not teach you to teach, but it will teach you about education.

Like someone with a psychology degree isn't taught how to counsel people going through trauma, or someone with an English literature masters knowing how to write novels.

One is theory-focused, whereas one is practice-focused. If you want to do a masters in education, go for it, but don't assume it will enable you to be an employable teacher right away.

For that, you'd likely need a PGCE/PGDE or equivalent (SCITT etc) in the UK. You may have more success in the private sector if you choose to go down that route, but be aware that you will probably still not know what you're doing because it'd be a job you're relatively untrained for.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  5. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Agree with the PGCE first. This will also give you masters credits should you later decide to take on a full masters degree.

6. rolls

rolls New commenter

I can understand why you want to do the masters if they are offering you a scholarship but it will not necessarily help you get into teaching. Only a teaching qualification and experience of teaching will help you do that. Whilst you are taking your masters you could teach English, French or Arabic to the ex pat community in Ab Dhabi, a TEfL / ESOL qualification would be useful for this. However, if you want to teach in schools you will need to take a teaching qualification such as PGCE. Your masters will show you can study at postgraduate level, so helpful in this way, but you will also need to show you have an aptitude for teaching.