1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student teaching coming to the end of training and feeling a little low - is it normal?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Becky15, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Becky15

Becky15 New commenter

Hey I'm a student teacher about to start my last placement of the course and rather than feeling full of enthusiasm and joy I feel low and like I've lost my reasons for wanting to teach in the first place!
    Is this a normal feeling to have as a student teacher or is it an early sign that perhaps teaching is not for me?

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Reflect on your feelings a bit more, and consider what is making you feel negatively about the upcoming placement. I always found placements tricky because there are lots of additional stresses and restrictions which you don't have with 'normal' teaching. There's also a lot of pressure around final placements which might be affecting you.
    I think my best advice (for what it's worth!) would be to make a list of the things that inspired you about teaching in the first place. Decide that you're going to do the best you can in your placement, whether you are going to proceed with teaching or not. Then, as you go through the placement, look back at your list. Does the job meet your initial hopes? If it doesn't, you will have acquired useful skills and a better understanding of the type of job you really do want.
    I would strongly recommend that you give your placement the best you can, and put your doubts to the back of your mind as you see how it unfolds.
    Good luck!

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

During my final placement I felt so removed from the reasons I'd decided to do it in the first place. I was very low, working all hours and counting the minutes until I finished. Afterwards, I was so, so happy to be out of the school and out of uni. It wore me down until I felt I had nothing left to give! Then, over the summer, as I prepared for my new job I got more excited again about what I was doing. I spent lots of time making resources and doing medium-term plans just because I wanted to! (Less so this year, as I've worked out a decent work/life balance!)
    Teaching as a job really is quite different to teaching as a student. I still have moments when I wonder if my teaching is okay and if I'm in the right job, but there are more than enough interesting/funny/exciting/happy moments to make me feel like I made the right choice.
    Just one more term (or less than, probably!) and one more placement. Once you're in a job, you might just find all your enthusiasm again!

4. Hello
    I am in final stages of my NQT year and can honestly say that the only thing that the training did for me is make me more determined to teach after surviving the course, which was mismanaged, inconsistent in expectations, poorly supported by mentors and real education. Think of it more as BOOT CAMP. If you can survive all the useless paperwork, assignments and requirements as a trainee teacher then you can survive anything.
    REALLY, NQT year is so much easier and you start to find your own feet - the downside - most of what you do at college or on placement has absolutely no relation to the real world.

5. Hi -really glad to hear someone else feels the same way I do! It's always good to know you're not the only one!

6. I've been feeling the same way too! Really not getting on at this placement. Don't like the school and don't particularly like the kids! Still, pushing forward, Only 7 weeks to go!!!

7. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

I think everyone gets like this at the end of the year.
    Im PGCE Mathematics, and with 6 weeks to go, I'm counting down the lessons.
    Think about what we're doing that 'normal' teachers aren't. We're writing 3000/4000 essays (i had to do 4 of!) while writing huge minute by minute lesson plans and writing a mini essay evaluation for each lesson taught. We're writing assessment logs every topic for every child and doing school based tasks and ICT lessons specifically for the course. I've had to write reports on AFL and SEN also while in school! All while actually planning and teaching 17 lessons a week!
    Look for the little things each day, one child learning something new, or a particularly funny event in a classroom and it'll power you through to the end!
    All the best!