1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Teachers - Textbooks - science secondary

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by charly89, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hi
    I've just received my reading list of my biology pgce course starting in sept 2012.

It's quite long and i'm unsure which books to choose and which ones are worth getting. Would be great if somebody could recommend what are good books to buy. I have posted my reading list below:

For KS3 one from each subject area:
    Biology
    ? Williams, G. Biology for you. Nelson Thornes.
    ? MacKean, D. G. (1995) GCSE Biology, 2nd Ed. John Murray.
    ? Jones, G. & Jones, M. (2000) Biology. Cambridge University Press

Chemistry
    ? Freemantle, M. (1987) Chemistry in action. McMillan Education Ltd
    ? Hill, G., Holman, J. (2000) Chemistry in Context. Nelson
    ? Holman, J. (1996) The Material World. Nelson Thornes (GCSE level)
    ? Wilson, E. (1999) Teaching Chemistry to KS4. Hodder and Stoughton

Physics
    ? Pope, S. (1989) Coordinated Science ? Physics. Open University Press.
    ? Johnson, K. (1996) Physics for You. Nelson Thomas.
    ? England, N. Physical Processes. Hodder & Stoughton.

For teaching GCSE - one from bio/chem

Biology
    ? Clegg, C. J. (2000) Introduction to Advanced Biology. Murray
    ? Allan, R. & Greenwood, T. (2000) Advanced Biology 1&2 Student Resource and Activity Manuals. Biozone.

Chemistry
    ? Jones, A., Clemmet, M., Higton, A. & Golding, M. (1999) Access to Chemistry. Royal Society of Chemistry.
    ? Hill, G. (2000) Chemistry in Context. Nelson.

One from section 1/2/3:
    Reading on the philosophy and nature of science - do we understand the nature of our own subject? Can we justify its place as a core subject in the curriculum for all pupils?
    ? Chalmers, A F (1999) What is this Thing Called Science? Open University Press
    ? Gribbin, J (1998) Almost Everyone's Guide to Science Phoenix
    ? Bryson, B. (2004) A Short History of Nearly Everything Transworld

2 The challenge of science education. What do we mean by educating children in science? How do we enable this to happen?
    ? Ireson, G., & Twidle, J. (2006) Reflective Reader: Secondary Science. Learning Matters
    ? Amos, S., Boohan, R. (eds) (2002) Aspects of Teaching Secondary Science. Routledge Falmer
    ? Driver, R. (1985) Children?s Ideas in Science. Open University Press.
    ? Sutton, C. (1992) Words, Science and Learning. Open University Press.

3 The role of practical work in school science.
    ? Association for Science Education Safeguards in the School Laboratory, 10th edition. ASE.

One of the following:
    Dillon, J., and Maguire, M. (Eds) 2007 -- Becoming a Teacher: Issues in Secondary Schools 3rd Ed.
    Capel, S., Leask, M., and Turner, T. 2004 --- Starting to Teach in the Secondary School
    Hoult, S. 2007 -- Reflective Reader: Secondary Professional Studies

I hope someone can help!

2. Hi
    I've just received my reading list of my biology pgce course starting in sept 2012.

It's quite long and i'm unsure which books to choose and which ones are worth getting. Would be great if somebody could recommend what are good books to buy. I have posted my reading list below:

For KS3 one from each subject area:
    Biology
    ? Williams, G. Biology for you. Nelson Thornes.
    ? MacKean, D. G. (1995) GCSE Biology, 2nd Ed. John Murray.
    ? Jones, G. & Jones, M. (2000) Biology. Cambridge University Press

Chemistry
    ? Freemantle, M. (1987) Chemistry in action. McMillan Education Ltd
    ? Hill, G., Holman, J. (2000) Chemistry in Context. Nelson
    ? Holman, J. (1996) The Material World. Nelson Thornes (GCSE level)
    ? Wilson, E. (1999) Teaching Chemistry to KS4. Hodder and Stoughton

Physics
    ? Pope, S. (1989) Coordinated Science ? Physics. Open University Press.
    ? Johnson, K. (1996) Physics for You. Nelson Thomas.
    ? England, N. Physical Processes. Hodder & Stoughton.

For teaching GCSE - one from bio/chem

Biology
    ? Clegg, C. J. (2000) Introduction to Advanced Biology. Murray
    ? Allan, R. & Greenwood, T. (2000) Advanced Biology 1&2 Student Resource and Activity Manuals. Biozone.

Chemistry
    ? Jones, A., Clemmet, M., Higton, A. & Golding, M. (1999) Access to Chemistry. Royal Society of Chemistry.
    ? Hill, G. (2000) Chemistry in Context. Nelson.

One from section 1/2/3:
    Reading on the philosophy and nature of science - do we understand the nature of our own subject? Can we justify its place as a core subject in the curriculum for all pupils?
    ? Chalmers, A F (1999) What is this Thing Called Science? Open University Press
    ? Gribbin, J (1998) Almost Everyone's Guide to Science Phoenix
    ? Bryson, B. (2004) A Short History of Nearly Everything Transworld

2 The challenge of science education. What do we mean by educating children in science? How do we enable this to happen?
    ? Ireson, G., & Twidle, J. (2006) Reflective Reader: Secondary Science. Learning Matters
    ? Amos, S., Boohan, R. (eds) (2002) Aspects of Teaching Secondary Science. Routledge Falmer
    ? Driver, R. (1985) Children?s Ideas in Science. Open University Press.
    ? Sutton, C. (1992) Words, Science and Learning. Open University Press.

3 The role of practical work in school science.
    ? Association for Science Education Safeguards in the School Laboratory, 10th edition. ASE.

One of the following:
    Dillon, J., and Maguire, M. (Eds) 2007 -- Becoming a Teacher: Issues in Secondary Schools 3rd Ed.
    Capel, S., Leask, M., and Turner, T. 2004 --- Starting to Teach in the Secondary School
    Hoult, S. 2007 -- Reflective Reader: Secondary Professional Studies

I hope someone can help!

3. Many providers will adsvise on which books are essential and which recommended and which are for reference only. Get in touch with the tutor and ask, I wouldn't buy a lot of texts, especially textbooks, as most schools will have copies you can borrow. Stick to ones like the ASE Hodder Murray range of books for teaching subjects.
    The Sage

4. Don't buy anything until you have checked out the library at uni! If something is essential they should have several copies. If you really want to buy books try to team up with someone on your course and share the cost.
    Also you can pick up second hand books through uni at the start of term when ex students sell off their copies :)