1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student teachers striking

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by murray79, Nov 12, 2011.

1. murray79

murray79 New commenter

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I was wondering how PGCE students are being advised by their institutions about the potential strikes on the 30th. My institution have told us that we are not expected by the unions (of which we all joined all three on our first day) to strike and that if we strike we will have to make our time up.

I will not name the institution or indeed get involved in personal views of this, just purely interested in how all of the institutions are handling this issue!

Hope everyone is enjoying the PGCE, mine is ace!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If your school is open and your class are in school then you probably ought to go in. I wouldn't be impressed if our students stayed at home and their class and classteacher were in and working.

I would imagine it depends on you and your beliefs. Not every teacher thinks this strike is a good thing. It also depends on your school, whether it is open or closed and what the general attitude to unions/striking is.

3. I'm doing a PGCE and am scheduled to be in school that week. I haven't yet joined a union. I haven't yet asked if the school will be shut but my mentor has timetabled me to teach lessons that day and hasn't mentioned the strike so I'm assuming the school will be open as usual.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Students are not employees/workers. They are students. They should be listening to what their institution says on the matter. If they don't, it can count as unauthorised absence.

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Unions usually say that students shouldn't strike - you're a student still, not a teacher (as it were). I believe students aren't full members of the union in so much that you won't have been balloted for action, and as a result won't be expected to take part.
    You should follow what your university tells you to do. There was a strike during my PGCE year, and I was in the school for the entire day sat in the department office (senior management had thrown several classes together) since the rest of my department weren't in.

6. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I would strongly advise you to join a union - or all three of them! - especially as they are free for you at the moment! See unions as like insurance... just in case...

7. Hello,

I'm doing my PGCE and we are on teaching practice during the strike. If our school is closed we have been told that we are not expected to make up the day, but we can do if we so wish. We have not been given any guidance as to whether we should be in uni that day though...

Tink

8. Hello,

I'm doing my PGCE and we are on teaching practice during the strike. If our school is closed we have been told that we are not expected to make up the day, but we can do if we so wish. We have not been given any guidance as to whether we should be in uni that day though...

Tink

9. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

That depends on how "closed" they are. Many schools are just closed to students, not staff.
    Don't wait for uni staff to tell you, it's best to ask.

10. All PGCE students should follow the advice of their institution. You cannot go 'on strike' even if you are a member (student) of a stiking union as you are not an employee and your membership is that of a student so you have no voting rights.
    If a school is shut, then it is likely that you will have a day which could be used for planning etc. and coursework.
    If your school is open then you should attend, but you must not cover classes for strking teachers - if you are teaching you, must be supervised and not left on your own. Again, you are not an employee and should anything happen then the head could be held to be negligent allowing an unqualified student to cover a class. If you are at work and not teaching then use the time for planning preparation and marking.
    It is also possible that your university will be subject to full or partial closures due to the strike action so you may find that your tutors are not available on that day.
    In all instances obtain advice from your tutor or course leader and follow that.
    James

11. Hi, I am an NQT where do I stand withregards to striking?

I have heard fron a colleague that as an NQT I cannot strike
    Thanks