1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Teacher Placement - Behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by iainmacdonald86, Sep 28, 2015.

1. iainmacdonald86

iainmacdonald86 New commenter

Hello,

This is my first post so I hope someone can offer some advice!

I'm currently a student doing my teacher training at university. I'll been soon be starting my first 2 month placement at a secondary school.

The teacher who I will be working under has allocated a few classes for me to lead over the 2 month period. Having met the classes and seen them in action, there are some behaviour issues that I know I will come up against (constant chit-chat, etc.). Their teacher does have a good level of control over them but I feel has a different approach to myself.

So my question is this - the pupils are used to a certain way of working however is it wise for me to introduce new classroom routines (such as lining up before coming into the classroom, 2 warnings, etc.) in order to (hopefully!) minimise behavioural issues I forsee being a problem? Or rather should I try and 'put on' the style of classroom management their teacher currently operates? I'm not suggesting the teacher's way is wrong (what would i know anyway - i'm just a student!), it's just not what I thought my practice would be.

Thank you in advance!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think that, as this is your first placement, you shouldn't jump in with your own approach just yet. Talk to the teacher about any area of behaviour management you think may be an issue, and see what suggestions the teacher can offer about how you could establish yourself as being in control. Try these out and see if they work for you. Maybe you will learn something new, and if not, at least you'll have tried something different. Teacher training is about getting a wide range of experiences and making the most of learning from others, before you become an NQT with responsibility for your own class.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi ian

If the classes have been given to you to lead, then you should be able say what your class rules and routines are going to be. You don't have to make a big deal out of it. Simply tell the students that you would like them to line up outside in an orderly manner until you invite them in. I can recommend a good book to you called Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Did. In this book he suggests 3 simple rules which I use a lot:

Follow instructions fast
    Stay on task
    Work without disturbing others

Use 2 warnings and then if they choose to break the rules, give them further sanctions.

Remember when you are teaching, you are the leader. Don't negotiate rules. The above rules are simple, fair, and easy to follow. Don't allow people to talk over you or when another member of the class is contributing.

Let us know how you get on.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You have to be yourself and set your own standard or you end up second guessing all day. Pupils in Secondary are used to dealing with different teachers and routines every day and an experienced teacher wouldn't think twice about walking in and implementing her own rules.
    Especially ignore any, "But Mrs X lets us..."

5. re

re New commenter

As new teacher you need to take charge. Current teacher may well have his/her own set of standards that the kids respect - you should follow the school procedure until well established.

6. iainmacdonald86

Thanks everybody!

I'm starting their next week so i'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

7. iainmacdonald86

I meant 'there'. God, that was terrible spelling.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

ian

Best wishes for next week. We are all cheering you on and please do let us know what worked well and what did not since we are all still learning. It is good to see some new posters on here.

Don't worry about the typing errors.

9. iainmacdonald86

Hey all. Well that is placement 1 over with!

Thank you for all the advice :) Everything went well - I took the lead from the current teacher at the school who had fantastic rapport with the pupils. She had said the best form of behaviour management is to speak to the pupils, build a relationship, etc.

Placement 2 starts next month!

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'd start with my own regime. After all, the pupils are used to having to comply with the requirements of different teachers throughout the day as they move to different subjects.
    It might be easier to keep the same seating plans but once you get the measure of the pupils you might decide to mix it up a bit for certain group work activities.