1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student teacher needs help with academic source on SEND issue! (ASD student)

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by booksandlashes, Jul 5, 2016.

1. booksandlashes

booksandlashes New commenter

Hi, everyone.
    I am a 2nd yr student teacher who needs to find some research/academic sources about the reasons behind ASD learners having difficulty with writing as another person, writing speech from another person and general issues with imaging themselves in another scenario.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for reading this :)

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Firstly not all of them do. Not sure of any research.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

4. booksandlashes

Thank you, Wotton, for your reply.
    Yes, I probably should correct the question to say "certain ASD learners". My lack of attention to that detail is because I was thinking about my own ASD learners whom all have the same issue.

Kind Regards.

5. booksandlashes

Thanks for the link, the link seems quite helpful so far. :)

Kind Regards

6. pinkfroggy1977

pinkfroggy1977 New commenter

I recommend reading some of Temple Grandin's texts. She's an autistic woman and her books make the problems that she and other people with ASD face clear and easy to understand and how they overcame certain issues.

7. booksandlashes

Thank, you Pinkfroggy1977. I had been looking at her books on audible and didnt know if they'd be of specific help. I shall try to get pdfs.

Kind Regards

8. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I'm not really sure there is research on this specific area (I am studying a Masters in autism in children so have read quite widely). It is generally thought to be part of the 'mindblindness' (see Simon Baron-Cohen) or Theory of Mind or empathy difficulties. Like I say generally ie huge generalisations here!

This article http://www.cep.ucsb.edu/papers/Languageeyes.pdf may be useful or this one http://autismdigest.com/context-blindness/ or this one http://www.cmcgc.com/media/handouts/101103/230_Peter_Vermeulen.pdf and this site is interesting too http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61962

I have heard many able adults with autism discussing this aspect of 'theory of mind' and wondering whether us NT people really have the skill so well when you can find pubs across the land full of men saying 'I can't work out what my wife means when she says .....' and coffee shops full of women saying 'my husband makes no sense, why does he say .....' (again generalisation alert)

How much do you know or understand about autism and the diagnosis?

9. booksandlashes

'
    Thank you, Senlady.
    I have Asperger's syndrome myself. Unfortunately I have the high functioning form so my understanding of my adult learners' more (forgive me, for lack of a better term) "debilitating" aspects of their ASDs elude me. I am trying to find an academic reason behind why they struggle so specifically with being able to write a note or a letter as someone else. Even struggling to write notes as themselves to someone they don't know (both of these things are required in the functional skills exam papers and ALC they are studying). They have pronoun substitution issues and even though I can explain this in their situation I cannot find any specific research that explicitly explains their writing issues with the above mentioned tasks.
    This is for my reflection on my observed lesson and my reasoning for their issues must be backed up with theory and research.

Thank you for your response and time.

Kind Regards