1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student teacher needs behaviour help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jaderoberts91, Feb 3, 2011.

1. HelloI'm currently a 2nd year university student studying Primary Education and I am currently on placement in a year 1 class.
    Basically
    the class are really badly behaved and I struggle when it comes to
    managing them. It has taken the class teacher months to get them to
    behave for her but they dont for me at all and I'm not getting much help
    from the teacher.
    Does anyone have any advice/tips/strategies
    that would help me deal with the whole class? They are disruptive,
    chatty and do not listen. In particular there is one girl who does not
    respond to me at all, and there is a boy with aspergers who I cannot get
    through to.
    Any help that you could give me would be much appreciated, this is really making me want to give up!!

Thank you!

2. with year 1 I find that making everything into a game is a good strategy. For example, the best sitter gets to hold the class teddy. I have a 'line award' for the row of children who sit best on the carpet and they love to compete for the award - when they get 6 line award points they get a sticker.

Make it as positive as possible rather than telling them off too much - they are only little after all. However, you do need them to know who's in charge and that if you ask them to do something and they do not do it then there will be a sanction eg losing 5 minutes of play. Make sure they know the rules and routines clearly. I refuse to be talked over so I wait until everyone is looking and listening before I start. They know that if they start talking over me I stop and wait. THey soon get the idea!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How long have you been there? If it has taken the classteacher months to get them to behave for her, you aren't going to be able to do it in a couple of weeks. You need to be realistic! Don't give up because a few children are being a nuisance.

I would say lots of praise and rewards for those doing the right thing. Stickers work well. 'Wow look Jonny is sitting nicely and is showing good listening' while handing him a sticker, will possibly make Alice being a twit next to him settle down. Make it obvious how very pleased you are with those doing it right.

Also use a stern voice and face. Make it very very clear to them that you are not pleased. The contrast between you being pleased and cross must be vast.

Ask to observe the teacher, specifically looking at what she does to manage the behaviour. Ask the reception class teacher how she managed.

And relax a bit. If the classteacher struggles to manage them, she won't mark you down for the same thing! If they are used to being naughty for her, it really isn't your fault that they don't behave for you.

Definitely don't give up!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have just finished reading a good book about behaviour: "Managing Children's Behaviour" by Shelia Riddall-Leech. The previous two posters have given some great advice but if you fancy some more, I can really recommend this book.