1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

student teacher needing consoled

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mci1875, Nov 3, 2018.

1. mci1875

mci1875 New commenter

hi there, thank you for reading...i hope some of you might be able to empathise...

Before the close of the day yesterday i wanted to return, with my class, to look at wind power. We had looked at renewables during the week and i thought (foolishly) that we could look at the downsides of wind turbines.

My class is comprised of 7 and 8 year olds.

I quickly flicked through the video to ensure in was all context appropriate.

Unfortunately i missed the part where a bird is struck by a wind turbine...it is not overly graphic though clearly shows the bird falling from the sky.

I feel sick at the thought that i have traumitised some of my pupils. It was the the very last part of the day so i did not have time to explore the issue with them.

Could anyone tell me if i am being overly worried about this? I really dont know if it was suitable given my experience in school and my lack of understanding about dealing with these kinds of issues.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You wanted downsides. That's a downside.

The truth is never a mistake. You say it wasn't graphic. They don't see the bird torn limb from limb? No bloody corpse?

It's an eternal truth. Mankind destroys things. Sometimes it's to improve the lot of our fellow man. Destroy a newt/owl/otter habitat to build housing. Shades of grey. Kids have to learn this.

What's wrong with getting upset? We all should be upset about some things that happen. Wars. People get killed. Kids know this from computer games. Sometimes some people think that's justifiable. I'm a pacifist so you can guess what I think.

A bird lost its life. I'm not in favour of killing wasps or spiders either. Talk to the kids about THAT! You'll soon find (and so will they) that we are very variable in how compassionate we are. It's a good lesson to learn.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

What you showed is what can and does happen. @grumpydogwoman has said it all.

I'm a History teacher, and taught the impact of the Holocaust, Vietnam, WWI, slavery. There is a harsh, ugly side to events that cannot be wrapped up in fluff.

The idea we need to sugar coat life from children is ludicrous.

4. iyetd

iyetd New commenter

Do not worry about it. You said there were no bloody parts? Then there can be no parent complaints.

As @CWadd and @grumpdogwoman said, it's all a part of life and the children will learn that.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Bird strikes in particular and impact on wildlife in general are among the main complaints from those who oppose wind energy so it's definitely relevant. I would probably feel as bad as you but really you haven't done anything wrong. Stop worrying.

6. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

Which video??? My Y10s would LOVE this!! (Sorry)

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know I'm old but this is a sign of the times.

One reason many primary classrooms had pets used to be that children would learn about death just as they learned about caring, nurturing, respecting.

Death is a fact! When's the "right" time to learn about it? Probably at a very young age. Death is always with us. Sweeping it under the carpet as if it doesn't occur is ridiculous.

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you did. I can't see a problem with it. It is a downside of wind turbines. When mini bedlam was in year 1 she came home talking about how tankers cause the death of penguins. She was quite upset about it for all of two minutes but I was pleased to see that she had a care for the penguins and what happens in the world. So as a parent I saw it as a good thing.

9. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

My thoughts, exactly!

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I remember 12 years ago Y7 students in tears because their English teacher had shown them a clip about Modern day child slavery to bring a modern parallel to Oliver Twist. When a parent complained, the response was that what they'd seen in the lesson they could see on the news, and if it made them appreciate what they had, surely it was good?

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

There's nothing wrong with what you did and I'm sure there will be no repercussions. Put it out of your mind and enjoy the weekend.
    I guess the only lesson to be learned is a reminder to always watch videos before you show them in class. But I bet we've all made a few mistakes there … I know I have!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Completely agree with everyone else. Put it behind you and move on. You never know, some of your kids might become vets or animal rescue heroes as a result.

Before I started teaching, I worked as a TA in a year 1 class. At Christmas, the teacher googled 'stockings' to give the kiddos some ideas of how to decorate their cards. He clicked on images and presented the class with some rather racy pictures of ladies in stockings.

Everyone shows something questionable to their kids at some point.

agathamorse and CWadd like this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I got my lesson in the scenario described in my second year. Teaching a Citizenship class on Media, I decided to pull up some newspaper headlines on the net to show the students a spread. How was I to know the Daily Mail would have a picture of a very young, semi naked Brooke Shields as the side bar picture? Thankfully they were Y7, as Y10/11 could have been a bit difficult with that one...

agathamorse and ElizaMorrell like this.
  14. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I found an eagle that had been killed by a turbine.

15. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I havent been able to watch youtube since.

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The loss of birds to turbines should not be considered in isolation.
    It should be balanced by the pictures of birds killed by oil slicks. burds that fly into power lines (big problem up near Welney Washes) the pictures that don't exist of birds that have lost habitat as a result of solar farms, coal mining, HEP and pictures of the habitat that would be lost from tidal barrages.
    All sources of energy have environmental consequences and result in the loss of wildlife.

knitone and pepper5 like this.
  17. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

That bit of the video may well be the bit they DO remember - and then they'll be even more aware that there are advantages AND disadvantages to things.
    Relax. You've done nothing wrong ... unless you went all panic struck, and over reacted in the actual room at the time. Kids are a lot tougher than you think.

18. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

I doubt that very much. It's Monday tomorrow - we'll find out. Do come back Mci and let us know.

19. mci1875

mci1875 New commenter

Must say a massive thank you to everyone who has contributed here. It makes me really happy to be entering a profession where support is available from peers.

I did not get the opportunity to discuss the event with pupils today (i would like to bring it up again this week at some point) and i did not get the chance to talk to my placement mentor.

The pupils were in really fantastic form today. I was not sure what to expect but i am clearly relieved that they seemed to suffer no ill effects.

Hope everyone enjoys their evening!!