1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student teacher need to think about a sea side related art activity for year 1 class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amywoodteach, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I am on placement at the moment in a year one class, next term they are starting a sea side theme. The class teacher asked me to think about something Art based I can do with the children. I have thought about maybe getting the class to collaborate to make a seaside mobile. They could then put their ideas together for what they might see at the sea side/what they might see in the sea. I was thinking of using bits of fabric to dangle from the mobile for the seaweed and then getting them to make their own seaside creatures/objects to hang from the mobile. I have seen laminating being used on work experience where they put lots of different coloured bits of fabric and different materials inbetween two plastic sheets and then laminating them together which had a nice effect when they were hung by the window. What do you think of this idea? any other ideas on what resources I could use for this?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. I might be going off on an angle here but:
    1. What is it you want children to gain from the activity? Skills or content based?
    2. The idea for discussing what you see at the seaside is great but without knowing your children I'd say make sure you give them a stimulus (photos, videos, props) if they haven't been much/at all.
    That's all that comes to mind right now.

4. I know I am just thinking of ideas for something to do with the seaside, thats as much as I've thought about. She said to just have a think, when I go back to school I will talk to the teacher about it and plan it more in depth.

5. You could do sand art - I used to love it as a kid.
    Either 2D with glue and then pouring different coloured sand on, then more glue and the next colour to build up a picture...or get plastic bottles etc and funnels and they layer the different colours in to create 3D art. It would take some prep though - I know you can buy coloured sand but I wonder if you'd be able to dye it yourself?