1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Teacher mentoring

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jdm14, Mar 18, 2012.

1. How many years experience do you think a teacher should have before they start mentoring students on teaching practice?

2. How many years experience do you think a teacher should have before they start mentoring students on teaching practice?

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

More than one, that's for sure. Why do you ask?

4. I guess it's something you can't quantify- depends on the expertise of the member of staff.

Just curious clean_air...

As an NQT I'm not considering the role! Just thinking back to my experiences during placements.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd not give the role to an NQT just because they wouldn't have the time. And if there were issues with the trainee, an NQT would possibly not have the credibility to deal with them. But never say never.

I co-ordinate the placements (and mentor all the students, though classteachers have the day to day role) in my school and this year a teacher in her second year will have a trainee in their maths set in the summer. The trainee will be based mainly in the partner class, but this arrangement is a nice way in.

Then again we have teachers who have been teaching for more years than some of our trainees have been alive, yet I'd not give them a trainee in a million years.

Expertise and the right attitude count for far more than experience.

6. Of 4 placements, I had 2 really, properly fabulous mentors. One had been teaching for about ten years and he was DH. The other was in his second year of teaching and he was absolutely incredibly brilliant. The best teacher I've ever seen, and such a wonderful mentor who influences my teaching every single day. If you're brilliant, I don't suppose it matters that much?

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It might also depend on the relationship between mentor and mentee (?)... AGe, gender, life experience - these are also factors that come into play.