1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student teacher laptop discount

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bmitw, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Hi, I am currently looking around for a laptop before I start the GTP in September and a colleague mentioned that there used to be a discount scheme for student teachers. Does anyone have any details or know if this is still running? Thanks!

2. I know that Dell and Apple have educational stores where you can get educational discount.

You can often get students/teacher discount in places like PC World/ Staples. It's a case of looking around I think....

3. Just a word of advice with Apple if you consider one of those; their education store as links to different versions of the store and if you select Primary/Secondary school you get an ok discount.
    However there is also a university option which only works if accessing from a university campus. A friend of mine who works at a university told me their discounts, and it is MUCH higher (around 15% - though to be fair, she has only tested this in store not online, but I would assume the university link provides the same 15%)
    Wether your porvider will permit GTP students to use this considering you do get a wage (similar to NUS argument I guess) is up to them, and I'm unaware of apple's offical policy, but it may be worth looking into.

4. Thanks for your replies. I got in touch with my provider who said that as GTPers are employees and not students in the traditional sense, we are not eligible for student discounts.Guess I'll just have to hunt around for a great deal instead!