1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student taecher just not preforming and classes failing

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sciencequeen00, May 15, 2012.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

Student teacher takes a mixture of classes but in many she is not preforming that well. I have given her alot of advice, let her observe me with tough classes she teaches and other teachers, given her behaviour advice etc etc but still my class have gone from a calm class to a mad, rude and very poorly behaved class of pupils! My class has been destroyed and I feel like I have completly lost them. I want to help the student but feel like I am at the end now as she doesnt take on board anything I suggest!

2. You are helping the student by offering the help and advice you have outlined above. However, the student is not taking on board this advice and is having a direct negative impact on your class. Do not allow it to happen. At the end of the day, it is you who will be held accountable for your class results (or lack of).
    First of all, you should speak to your headteacher or ITE co-ordinator and share your frustrations. They may well come in and observe or speak to her. If this doesn't work, I would inform the student that I was considering failing her teaching practice as she was not fulfilling the standards. I would then make a phonecall to the university and request a visit from her tutor as a matter of urgency.
    It may seem harsh, but if she is not responding well to coaching and mentoring that you are quite clearly giving, then she should be referred back to the university. My experience of having teaching students - especially those in their final stages of their course - is that too many teacher-tutors are afraid to be harsh and to put these strategies into place. How would your student feel if she coasted through all her teaching practices this way, not dealing with behaviour issues, and (worse) not taking advice and mentoring on board? She'd graduate university sure enough but would she be able to secure a teaching position? And would she be able to cope?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Contact the university as soon as possible. They have procedures you MUST follow to the letter when there are difficulties. If you are not the co-ordinator for trainees in your school, then they need to take over the mentoring and contact the ITT provider and get things like action plans in place as soon as possible.

It is not your role, if she just has one of your classes, to pass or fail her. You MUST pass on the information to the mentor/co-ordinator as soon as you can. There is nothing more annoying as a mentor, than classteachers not doing this and so we are unable to do anything to help or to work with the university to decide on a course of action. Telling us at the last minute that the student has been a flippin nightmare is of no earthly use.

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

As a student who had a a tough time on one placement I just wanted to offer my view. Yes its possible you student isnt up to the job but did you give her some 'freedom' to discover her style at the start of the placement? I had a mentor who babied me and did everything for me as that was her way of helping. It was only when I had a mentor who gave me guidance and freedom to find my style of planning and lesson strategies did I flourish. Not criticising you mentoring because you are obviously concerned for both your class and your student. Good luck to you both!

5. I have a PGCE student at the moment. I was a little reluctant to take her on as the last student I had (BAed 2nd year TP) a few years ago was a bad experience for both of us. Thankfully this student is doing very well and growing in confidence daily and more importantly the children are flourishing with her enthusiasm and creative activities.
    The failing student had lots of support and encouragement but was just not suited to the job. I was quick to involve the senior mentor at school, who swiftly took over the assessments and involved the university. The student, who I found out afterwards was resitting her 2nd TP, was sensible enough to realise her situation and withdrew eventually from the course.
    It is imperative that you contact the senior mentor or university to sort this situation out asap.

6. you need to raise this as an issue with the professional and subject mentors and then cause for concern the student with the university. you can also arrange to have your class back if it's going really badly.