1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student swearing at me

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by june20, Jan 31, 2012.

1. june20

june20 New commenter

A student swore at me the other day in front the whole class - this particular student is very moody and I have found myself thinking of various ways to mollify them since Sept.
    I sent the student out of the room (normal procedure) and fully expected them to be excluded (eith internally or sent home) which is normal procedure at our school. However the HoY dealt with it and they only received a detention.
    Since I have tried to speak to the student about their behaviour and received accusations that I caused it and I should be in trouble.
    When I spoke to HoY I was asked to email the conversation to him. I sent an email and he has blanked me since. The student continues to be surly and difficult in class and I feel insulted and my professionalism has been questioned.
    I rarely have behaviour problems in my classes. Usually I deal with any problems myself...so it's not as if I am someone who is moaning about the students all the time.
    Really feel that I need to just go to the head about it and bypass HoY as he is simply not dealing with it.
    What does everyone think?

2. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

At least there was some punishment.
    I would infer from your description of your HoY's response that he/she doesn't think it's serious enough for an exclusion. It's up to you whether you want to make an issue of it, with all the inevitable stress and bad feeling it will cause.
    Personally, I'd leave it but if the perpetrator does it again, insist on more robust action.
    I wish I could have a pound for every time a student has sworn at me.

3. You should state your concerns to the head politely but firmly. Explain that you don't feel that a detention was appropriate under the circumstances(given that he swore at at you in front of your own students) and you feel that a stronger sanction should have been used. However given the time lapse you may want to consider a compromise, such as a monitoring report that will mean if the student is found to be in breach of any of your set rules he will be excluded automatically.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In future, swear back.