1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Support Centre

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Andrew Jeffrey, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Has anyone had any experience of this company? I had a call today from the son of some friends, who wanted advice as he was given a letter from his child's school recommending them.
    I have nothing against extra support for children who struggle, but this appears to be a £50 per month tie-in for four years, and instead of tutors they get DVDs and online testing.
    I advised against this on a number of counts, having googled them and seen the concerns of parents, including that rather worrying strategy employed by their sales staff, which was similar to that relayed to me during the phone call.
    So - can anyone (not from the company) provide any further information? Have you had a good experience with them? And should schools be recommending them just to get a commission?
    Thanks - I am only asking so that I can give better-informed advice in the future.

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Has anyone had any experience of this company? I had a call today from the son of some friends, who wanted advice as he was given a letter from his child's school recommending them.
    I have nothing against extra support for children who struggle, but this appears to be a £50 per month tie-in for four years, and instead of tutors they get DVDs and online testing.
    I advised against this on a number of counts, having googled them and seen the concerns of parents, including that rather worrying strategy employed by their sales staff, which was similar to that relayed to me during the phone call.
    So - can anyone (not from the company) provide any further information? Have you had a good experience with them? And should schools be recommending them just to get a commission?
    Thanks - I am only asking so that I can give better-informed advice in the future.

3. hi I have seen quite a few threads on other website - mumsnet and moneysaving expert -which are pretty negative - very expensive for what it is , and hard sell - and I really don't think schools should give out infomation about them - I complained at my son's school

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Thank you chemcan123 - that's very useful. I haven't seen the mumsnet thread but I will check it out.

Anyone else had any dealings with them? Do we know how much the school gets per referral, for example?

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Good grief, I've just read the mumsnet report - very worrying. Thanks for the info - I'm now confident I gave the right advice, even if not in possession of all the facts I have now.