1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Project on Girls in Science; Quick Questionaire Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rucsac, Aug 22, 2016.

1. rucsac

rucsac New commenter

A student of mine is trying to complete a summer internship and has devised a questionnaire to help her write a report.

If you're in the mood and teach Science, please consider completing this ...

http://ertfhuj.limequery.com/146665?lang=en

Thank you.

blazer likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry not a science teacher... but me saying that keeps this on the front page.

blazer likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Done.

blazer likes this.
  4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

for the sake of it, I dare say. This is what "education" has become. "research" ... "write a report". And this is science??

Not meaning to be mean to rucsac or her student, but I am just pointing out to any on here who still doubt me, how prevalent this sort of thing is!

blazer likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In the ratio of girls to boys there is no facility for single sex schools.
    I had to pick 90:10 as the closest, but options for 100:0 and 0:100 would have been useful.

blazer likes this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I pointed that out in the comment section on the next question. Not the best designed questionnaire.

caterpillartobutterfly and nomad like this.
  7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Science doesn't take place in a vacum, it's influenced by the socioeconomic, cultural and ethical factors that are prevalent in society.

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

And the study of it is called sociology. Not that that would justify the ubiquitous questionnaire-report phenomenon that passes for education.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Before anyone writes a questionaire they need to be educated on how to do it, how to make it objective and how to avoid the common pitfalls. It's not a trivial skill. If you create a bad questionaire you will get meaningless results on which to base your report.

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Absolutely! A whole subject in itself!

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

As is the writing of multiple guess tests and exams. I cringe when I see some of the questions on public exams of this type. They often have more than one right answer, but the exam setter was too stupid to realise. I've even seen one question in which none of the answers were correct. We found some sample 11+ exams online and my grown up sons were appalled that the person setting it hadn't understood that many of the answers could reasonably have been argued as being correct. My brightest but-on-the-spectrum even went as far as arging any of the answers to any of the questions on the numerical reasoning could be right, and proceeded to demonstrate until we were fed up, but totally convinced! These things are much harder than they look.

Eureka! likes this.