1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student pen pal project?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by steveshortland25, Apr 5, 2018.

1. steveshortland25

steveshortland25 New commenter

Hey all,

I've not long accepted a new pastoral in my school and i'm looking for new ways to engage our students. One idea was to link up with a school/several schools around the UK and beyond and open up a penpal system.

I am in a mixed secondary school with vertical tutoring. We have a wide rural catchment area, so ideally looking for schools that are more urban based.

Im happy to run a trial program for the upcoming term before launching fully in September.

Ideally, I was hoping students to hand write messages - not only will it help the students practise their handwriting, but also think about their own punctuation and spelling rather than relying on technology.

If anyone wants any extra information or wants to show interest, leave a message below or direct message me.

Thanks!!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well I hope that there are posters out there who may wish to reciprocate and I understand your motives but if I were a student I would not feel inclined to pursue this kind of exercise and I suspect this will be a major handicap.

3. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I had penpals when I was a kid and really enjoyed it, and I suppose it could have some novelty value now (I'm not sure if my now grown up sons have ever posted anything in their lives, for example). I remember having penpals from abroad rather than in the UK though - I think that it was supposed to be about learning about other cultures? Even now, there might be value in, say, a rural school exchanging with an urban one, for example, even in the UK. I guess there is always the possibility of a visit if the school is in the UK, which might be motivating.

4. tjrr

tjrr New commenter

I work in Germany and would be very happy to join this kind of project! We are generally still a little “behind” with our technical development here so you’d have a great excuse to send handwritten letters ;)

galerider123 and sabrinakat like this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My school did this with Y7s and Y8s and it was somewhat successful - if you're interested in another rural school but with a 50% international/boarding element, I can speak to our HOY.

galerider123 likes this.
  6. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

7. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

When I was at school there was a Penpal project. We wrote to students in New England , the towns had the same name. I am still in touch with my pen pal after 42 years . We generally SKPE or email these days. We didn'the meet for the first 20 years but have visited each other a number of times now.

8. steveshortland25

steveshortland25 New commenter

thanks for the replies! Im currently away and not back until Friday. Will read the posts properly then. Didn't want to leave you all hanging :)

Enjoy the rest of your break.