1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student panel

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by charlylou, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hello!
    Apologies if there is already a thread on this. I've got an interview on Thursday and one of the tasks of the day is a student panel interview. The interview letter said that I will be asked questions and will need to ask the students questions as well. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this? What sort out questions did you ask the students and what were you asked in return?!
    Beginning to feel very nervous!
    Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

2. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Hi,
    I've only ever had one interview ( so I am inexperienced) but none-the-less I have one.
    I was asked how I make my lessons fun, my hobbies, what I would offer as extarcurricular activities and questions about my own children- they could tell I was a mum !!!.
    Google something like 'what pupils expect from a good teacher' and or I'm sure you will receive better information from other forum members.
    Maybe you could ask the children similar questions eg what makes a good teacher and what they enjoy in your subject as well as some fun questions at the start about their own hobbies or favourite programmes/ football team.
    I hope this helps a little - but I am a novice at this too.
    Good luck

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that interview! Go and read the advice in the Interview Tips clickable inside the Welcome thread.
    For the student panel, do a search here on this Forum (top left of page) for "Student Council" - that will get yopu loads of things.
    We have a tradition on here that when you get a job, you start a brand new thread and call it Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Looking forward to yours!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. I've quite enjoyed the student panels I've had. The first one was observed by the HoD, the second it was just me and the students. Had questions like "why did you want to be a teacher", "how do you make lessons interesting", "how much homework do you set and what sort of work is it". It's mainly, I think, an opportunity to show how you relate to students, and how you balance being professional with being approachable.

5. msmog7

msmog7 New commenter

I really enjoyed the student panel interview I had. The majority of the questions were about how I could make RE fun!
    I didn't get the job but was shortlisted to the final two based on that interview with students, they apparantly gave me 11/10! So it's worth going for it with loads of enthusiasm.
    Also my advice would be DON'T LIE. It may be that doing role-play every week would make your dubject more fun but they know it's not going to happen so make sure everything is feasable and achieveable.
    Good Luck!

6. Thanks everyone!
    Woke up this morning with a horrid cold but fingers crossed it clears up by Thursday. I'm really nervous about this interview-I do have a teaching job at the moment but it's really not right for me whereas this job is essentially my dream job!
    Thanks again for the help!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

8. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Hi charlylou - I have had several student council interviews over the years and my experiences have pretty much matched those of other posters. They nearly always ask why did you want to be a teacher? What clubs would you like to run? What sort of teacher are you? How do you make lessons fun/interesting? How do you control behaviour/ what sanctions and rewards do you use? I have also been asked, would you consider putting a child on a report card if they misbehave regularly(!)? Tell me a joke (get one ready, mine was AWFUL!) and the best question of all...'are you hungry?' Huh?? Odd one that!
    I always ask them things like, what do you think makes a great teacher? What clubs would you like to be run here? Tell me about the school - what do you like about it the most? Pretty obvious stuff. I have always had great feedback from these 'interviews'. It's the formal one I struggle with - but I have succeeded recently and the children were really pleased I got the job [​IMG]
    I have always had HT or member of SLT sitting listening and taking notes. Good luck for Thursday!

9. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I agree with the person who said; it is about being approachable and professional at the same time. The first experience of pupil panel I had was not very pleasant, because they put us in front of the panel two by two, and we took it in turns answering the same question. I found myself suddenly trying to compete and even saying things that I wouldn't dream of saying usually! Having said that, subsequent pupil interviews haven't been as bad as that one because it has only been me in front of the panel.

10. Many thanks for your help everyone!
    The student panel was actually a really nice experience. Unfortunately I didn't get a good feel for the school though so I ended up withdrawing from the interview.
    It made me realise how much I like the school I'm in now though so I am happy for the experience.
    Thanks again for everyone's help!

11. Sounds to me as if congratulations are in order then!