1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Panel??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I had a student panel at an interview a few months back, it was my first experience of a student panel so I wasn't quite sure of how to behave but I did not like it at all!
    In my case I walked into a massive room with 14 students sat in a semi-circle alongside 2 members of staff. I was sat infront of the semi-circle and was asked around 20ish questions. I can't really remember most of them but some where the usual 'why do you want to work here' 'what do you know about our school' 'what do you do in your spare time' 'what kind of teacher are you' etc etc.
    In the feedback of why I didn't get the job I was told that the students thought I was too 'friendly/matey' and 'not professional enough' and they wanted somebody who can take charge in a classroom - I was fuming about these comments, how dare they comment on my teaching when all they have never seen me in a classroom. I chose to talk to them on 'their level' and this was obviously the wrong decision, next time I will talk to them like professional adults and await the feedback of 'the students thought that they couldn't relate to you'.
    Sorry for the essay but I think it is so so wrong to get children involved in the interview process. Good luck!

2. I wouldn't rely on that.
    Depends very much on the school.