1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student not pay...help

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by lizziec, Aug 27, 2011.

1. How did you originally make contact with the student? If it was via an agency or website then is there anyone there that can help? (You've probably already thought of this!)
    I guess for future students, it may be important to get hold of a postal address - maybe sending a contract that they must sign and return (or their parents depending on the age) would help focus their minds a bit - and maybe an emailed "state of their account" after every lesson, as a confirmation of lessons having happened and any payments made (copied to anyone relevant - parents, representative of agency etc).
    Having a postal address may not make much difference to whether they pay or not, but will help them not to disappear by changing an email address. Also, a note on the statement reminding them of terms (eg payment immediately after each lesson, or within a week of the lesson, or payment for each set of 4 lessons by the start of the 3rd lesson or whatever you agree) might help - and if necessary you can refuse additional lessons until the terms have been met?
    I hope there turns out to have been a good reason for your student to have temporarily delayed payment, and that it is resolved quickly. (It is of course the end of a month, so maybe your student is just waiting for money to go into her account before paying you!)
    Liz

2. You know that you are genuine, if the client doesn't wish to pay in advance, then you should turn them down. Don't be afraid to stand your ground, the next student that comes along will happily pay in advance.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I don't think i would have carried on if they weren't either paying up front or at least after each lesson prior to the next one.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You do seem to end up with quite a number of problems.
    Cash in hand is the name of the game. By all means make it legal etc. etc. but insist on getting paid at the beginning or the end of each lesson.
    If they refuse then bid them goodbye. Better to do nothing and not get any money than work and not get paid.
    If they say a lesson in arrears and then not pay, you only have that one lesson you have lost so it is not the end of the world.
    You are providing a service. Remember this. It is a business transaction not a friendly get together. Make sure your students are under no illusions about this.

5. Excellent advice Karvol. I never teach more than one lesson without being paid. So far parents have always sorted out any missing money but I make it very clear, from the first meeting, that I get paid at the end of the lesson. It saves so many problems later on.

6. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

I think the situation is different to most of our face to face tuition dealings in that the work was done online. Does the OP know any contact details other than an email address? If so, legal action may be required / threatened to recover the debt.
    If no contact details are known then the OP will have to put it down to a very expensive lesson, and in future to require upfront, or (at least) stage payments.

DB