1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student native speaker - strategies?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sommersprossen, Oct 19, 2011.

1. I have anative speaker in my GCSE group and his spelling is not good, however speaking, listening and reading are all easy for him. Does anyone have any ideas for differentiation? Help gratefully received.

2. Couldn't you make him work on his spelling while the rest of the group are doing listening/reading? Perhaps he just needs to learn all the rules from scratch, and you can give him a rule at a time to work on.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree, when the others are for example reading he coud be 'proof-reading' a differentiated mis-spelt copy& has to spot and correct the 'mistakes'. During speaking/istening ex he could work on the 'spelling rules'.

4. Thanks for your ideas - will give it a go.

5. tortuman

tortuman New commenter

Is his spelling poor because he didn't learn to read and write formarly or is it bad because he's got some dyslexia or other similar issue?
    Find out before adopting an approach. However, I think what somebody suggested above is a good idea, teach him rules from scratch. I am sure you can get some spelling booklet from his country with exercises. Dictation is also a good thing to do.

6. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I think reading helps with spelling, so he needs to read. Ask him if he has any materials at home - if he's a native speaker he may have magazines or books given by relatives.