1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student mobiles in classrooms

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A necessary precaution in America:

The large white man throwing around the small black girl like a sack of potatoes is Ben Fields, a sheriff deputy and a strength coach at the Spring Valley High School where this video was filmed. I do not know the name of the small black girl but apparently Fields was called because she refused to leave the room.

I cannot guess what was going through the teacher's head at this moment, to allow this, nor why most of the students said nothing. There is a second video of this incident from another angle which I cannot embed but you can see it here.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Definitely racism, Vince.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Makes Team Teach look tame!

4. Vince_Ulam

This is unequivocal assault. Seven seconds in you can see this idiot lifting the girl off the ground by her hair and one leg before he throws her at the far wall:

[​IMG]

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Doesn't this say more about the way the US polices its citizens than the need to have mobile phones?

Given recent events the young girl was lucky she wasn't shot dead...Had she been a teenage black boy she might well have been in "self-defence", of course!!!

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I wonder if the students were scared they would be next.
    And the teacher must have had some idea of what would happen - who calls the police simply to remove a child from class?

7. Vince_Ulam

It's a terrible thing when older white men take against young black people.

8. Vince_Ulam

I think so too. From what I've read, Fields was already under investigation for his dealings with black students.

I do not know if Fields, in his staff capacity, was already on site but I think the teacher has some hard questions to answer.

9. Morninglover

If the teacher intervened, might he (or she) not have been assaulted too? Or shot?

Surely the key is not to allow racist thugs to carry guns...Even if they work for the police.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sadly in many places in the USA having an active police officer on site is now the norm. Though my last school had a PCSO on site so might be not so strange. [though this never happened]. My understanding is in some cases just being late to lesson can get you a police record. Really screws up your future prospects.

11. Vince_Ulam

Bullies are reluctant to attack where there is a risk of injury to themselves; the teacher (if such) was easily in the same weight class as Fields. This said, I do not know whether the teacher complained afterwards. When the girl was manhandled and upturned onto the floor he may not have wished to challenge the authority of this school-police liaison for to do so would be to call his own authority into question. From that point to when the girl was thrown across the room - and she was thrown - there was so little time that he may have been caught by surprise. Then with the handcuffing taking place immediately, in a form seen regularly on American reality and fiction television and with broken-record instruction, things seemed to resume accepted procedure. I think there is an argument to make that black Americans are conditioned to accept this institutional racism from an early age.

12. Morninglover

Really? Since when has 'being late' been a criminal offence? Even in the US!

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

14. Morninglover

15. Morninglover

Going back to the original case here - seems pretty clear this is a rogue 'officer':

Fields has a history of alleged aggression during arrests. According to federal court papers a man named Carlos Martin sued Fields for pepper spraying him and roughing up his wife after he pulled his car into a parking lot playing loud music. The suit ended in Fields’s favor.

In a second federal suit a high school student named Ashton James Reese is suing Fields for allegedly falsely accusing him of being in a gang. In court papers Reese’s attorney claims Fields “recklessly targets African-American students with allegations of gang membership and criminal gang activity”. That suit is pending

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...puty-on-leave-after-forceful-classroom-arrest

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Seems to be all they employ these days

drek and FolkFan like this.
  18. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Germans have to be very good to everyone nowadays. Can't think why.;)

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

US has a huge problem with this. It is an issue of racism and police training. Police in the US are taught, as part of their training for dealing with the public, that they have to dominate the situation.

Thus when a situation occurs where someone does not do what they are told or stands up for their rights (even if correct) then things go badly. The officers can't cope and lash out.

The other problem in the US is that they have so many arcane laws that it is almost impossible to go through the day in some states without technically breaking some statute or another.

The high profile shootings that have made it to the news over the pond have often involved an officer who has previously had a string of complaints against them for brutality.

A good example was an elderly gent (74 I think) who was stopped by a cop as he pulled into a gas station. The cops beef was about his number plate and the gent remonstrated. As soon as his back was turned to the cop, he was attacked, his head bounced off the bonnet of the cop car and thrown to the ground and tasered. All filmed by the cop's dashcam. When another cop turned up it was clear from his behaviour that this was not the first incident of this sort with the cop.

20. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Since it hasn't been stated what went on before the assault (way over the top for "assertive discipline"), and bearing in mind that short of waving a knife about, I can't think of any classroom misdemeanour that would warrant such an attack, maybe we'd better wait to see what the basis for it was.
    Certainly the rest of the class didn't look over-bothered. Maybe the girl was a prize as*hole who wasted the class's time on a regular basis. Not that it justifies it, but I find the response of the class and the teacher very strange. Cop beating up black kid I'm afraid is not all that surprising for that part of the world.