1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

student mentoring

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by keithreen, Jun 12, 2007.

1. We have a program which teachers run to mentor under-achieving students. I've been given a student with low self-esteem who believes she's not doing well because she's not capable even though that's not the case. Have you got any good strategies on how to motivate this student? (She's in yr10 btw.)

2. We have a program which teachers run to mentor under-achieving students. I've been given a student with low self-esteem who believes she's not doing well because she's not capable even though that's not the case. Have you got any good strategies on how to motivate this student? (She's in yr10 btw.)

3. I run a business providing training and student workshops in this area. As an ex teacher and Headteacher I have had lots of experience in working with such views as expressed by this girl. It is not untypical.

There are some free resources on my website that you might find useful - but do feel free to contact me via e mail and I will be happy to discuss things that might help, knowing a little more about the context.

Cheers,

peter

www.response-education.org
    peter@response-education.org

4. Why not try doing the opposite. The research by the Motivated School works well with underachieving simply saying they are motivated we just demotivated. They could be rebranded as SWOTS and taught, told they are overachieving. You could even allow them to go into top set classes to see how to cahieve in their Year

Just an idea

Andrew

5. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Rather than mentoring we have started coaching students like this - the differences are subtle but coaching focuses more on empowering the subject to make the right choices/decisions. We started doing it with struggling collegues but have found it works brilliantly with pupils with low self-esteem. Look at DFES website there was a coaching toolkit or post your e-mail and I will send you a copy of my pack.

6. This all sounds really interesting - are you still on here, would love to discuss further! :)