1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

student losing skills

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by drasticAli, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hello, I have had a student in my class for 3 years who has severe autism and pmld .He is 16 now and over the last 3 years hes learnt to sit in a group, attend for long enough to complete his individual tasks and begin to progress in early number skills . He has no language and understands no words but his social skills were progressing enough for him to enjoy contact with an adult and initiate fun turntaking games . He had begun also, to use a communication board with objects of reference to ask for snack items .
    He has always had an obsession with flapping a book but it didn't really interfere with his education hugely .Tragically in the last few weeks his flapping has grown to a degree where I believe he uses it to shut others out . He searches constantly for more paper to flap ,opens cupboards takes it off notice boards etc and no matter how much he has its never enough . I have limited it to one box of paper but he searches for more . Another obsession he has developed very recently is picking bits of fluff off all surfaces and putting it in his mouth . He would do both these all day and he is increasingly shutting the world out . His attention has dropped to seconds , he has no desire for any contact and pushes us away . He has lost the skills he did have and when his box is removed so he can join in a lesson or do 1.1 learning he either shuts down or zones out , You know hes not !there"
    He is on rispiredone [? wrong spelling} which I've heard is a nasty medication which makes them feel ill so it could be affecting him . Puberty may also play a part but hes not the fun giggly lad we used to know . I refuse to give up trying to bring some happiness back into his life . Has anyone had any similar experiences and can offer advice ? I am desperate

2. Hello, I have had a student in my class for 3 years who has severe autism and pmld .He is 16 now and over the last 3 years hes learnt to sit in a group, attend for long enough to complete his individual tasks and begin to progress in early number skills . He has no language and understands no words but his social skills were progressing enough for him to enjoy contact with an adult and initiate fun turntaking games . He had begun also, to use a communication board with objects of reference to ask for snack items .
    He has always had an obsession with flapping a book but it didn't really interfere with his education hugely .Tragically in the last few weeks his flapping has grown to a degree where I believe he uses it to shut others out . He searches constantly for more paper to flap ,opens cupboards takes it off notice boards etc and no matter how much he has its never enough . I have limited it to one box of paper but he searches for more . Another obsession he has developed very recently is picking bits of fluff off all surfaces and putting it in his mouth . He would do both these all day and he is increasingly shutting the world out . His attention has dropped to seconds , he has no desire for any contact and pushes us away . He has lost the skills he did have and when his box is removed so he can join in a lesson or do 1.1 learning he either shuts down or zones out , You know hes not !there"
    He is on rispiredone [? wrong spelling} which I've heard is a nasty medication which makes them feel ill so it could be affecting him . Puberty may also play a part but hes not the fun giggly lad we used to know . I refuse to give up trying to bring some happiness back into his life . Has anyone had any similar experiences and can offer advice ? I am desperate

3. I have sent you a personal message.
    Mags2612