1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student loans

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loopyfrog, Mar 18, 2012.

1. loopyfrog

loopyfrog New commenter

Is it correct that you have to pay your student loans whilst working abroad?

If so, it is based on the same amount you would be paying in the UK?

2. loopyfrog

loopyfrog New commenter

Is it correct that you have to pay your student loans whilst working abroad?

If so, it is based on the same amount you would be paying in the UK?

3. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Yes you do. There is an overseas form you will have to complete and you are required to send that along with a copy of your current contract stating your salary. I studied in Scotland, so not sure if England has a different system?? As I earn more than in the UK, it unfortunately means I am paying a lot more. Gets it out of the way quicker I suppose!

4. loopyfrog

loopyfrog New commenter

Thank you. Ugh more forms...

5. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

It's not a pain, honest! I faxed it from school to the office in Glasgow and my Mum received a letter the following week stating my new payment details. Couldn't have been simpler.
    [​IMG]

6. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

You can make payments online if you wish. But yes, you will have to fill out two forms every year instead of one.
    I live in Spain and didn't have to pay as I earned less than the required amount.
    I would like to pay it off as I dread the letters coming in every year!

7. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi it is a legal requirement to inform the SLC if you leave UK for 3 months or more. It may even be a criminal offence if I remember correctly not to do so.
    The cost of living is taken into accout using a set scale so the "free salary" component is usually smaller (but not in a few places) and the 9% is taken from the above. They use their exchange rate and fix annually. You pay by direct debit if you have a UK bank account still of course. Simple really