1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student loan repayment overseas (fixed monthly repayment)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jad518nexus, Dec 23, 2017.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

It worked for me - in the year after I gave them my employment details I was paying nearly 400 quid a month. When they sent the form out again a year later I was busy and not inclined to fill in another form and get proof of salary from my school when all of my details were the same as on the previous form so I didn't bother. I got a letter from SLC saying that if I didn't send them my employment details then they'd put me on the default payments for my country - which was 90 pounds a month! Needless to say, I didn't send the forms back.

ed717 likes this.
  2. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I've not paid anything for 5 years...I'm not going to be proactive in finding out what I need to do, either.

ed717 likes this.
  3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I had allsorts of problems when not returning forms. My debt got sent to a debt collector so when I returned to the UK in the summer, I had lots of nice red letters.
    Student Loans are getting much more aggressive in their attempts to get money back.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I had a similar experience :D

5. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Like it dumbers!!!

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You're playing a very dangerous game

7. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Slightly late to this thread. I completely ignored my student loan for the first two years that I taught Internationally. I then set up a standing order for 150GBP a month. They have really underestimated the cost of living for China and want to charge nearly 400GBP a month. Whilst, I am on a good salary, housing in Beijing is insanely expensive as is living here.

So you can ignore their advice and just set up a minimal payment amount, they tried to get in contact a few times to request my earnings and I just ignored it. I think they're happy they are getting something instead of nothing.

8. ed717

ed717 New commenter

I graduated after my PGCE with a total of more than 60k of debt. During my 2 years teaching in the UK the repayments coming off my salary were a lot, but still will not have significantly reduced that figure.

Since I came abroad almost 4 years ago in 2016, I haven't even received one letter and neither has my mum (which is my UK registered address). As we say in Geordieland, 'shy bairns get nowt.'
    English translation: 'If they don't ask, they don't get!' ;)

Plus university education is free or almost free in other countries. (France and Germany around 1000 euro per year, Scandinavian countries totally free)
    Why should we have to pay, when other governments can? Our taxes are much higher than in France and Germany for example.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. tica

tica New commenter

ed717 you took the loan, you spent it - now pay it back.
    i assume that for the last 3 years you have been earning a decent salary and are not paying UK tax. Why should those of us who are subsidise you?

10. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Anyone earning 27519+ euros pays 30% tax in France
    I can't remember how much it is in UK. But is it less than in France?

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Was the loan system not made clear to you when you took the loan? Why did you take a loan if you had no intention of paying it back?

The loans don't just disappear. Either you pay it or other people do.

I can also assure you that you WILL receive letters eventually. Whether you choose to ignore them or not will be your prerogative.

As for the tax line - taxes are far higher in other countries. I'm almost certain that tax is higher in Germany.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What have other countries got to do with it? Just because tax is different in another country isn't a justification - legal or moral - for tax evasion!

Anyway, according to these charts, our income taxes aren't higher than France and Germany. UK is generally a low tax economy.

Attached Files:

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I wonder how many expressing their disgust at them not paying it back actually had to pay for their own degree? or was it actually free?o_O

ed717 likes this.
  15. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

One of the issues with just sticking your head in the sand and ignoring your student loan is that they stick you on a higher interest rate. They don't always tell you either.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You can't get away with avoiding it any more. It used to be easy but they tightened things up to avoid people just changing address and being effectively debt free.

Not getting any communication for a few years is the opposite of a good thing. It means your loan is accruing interest with no payments being made.

Who knows what they'll do in the future to get these things back. Let's hope they don't make deals with your country of residence to financially blacklist you

17. ed717

ed717 New commenter

My point exactly. I can see why people will feel cheesed off if they have paid all their loans back (if they had any at all) and I was doing while still in the UK. On an NQT salary together with rent, bills, council tax, car, insurance (necessary for travel to work) etc I could barely afford to even eat properly. My repayment was almost 300 a month. I was left with nothing. Is that a worthy reward for 5 years of graft at university? I wondered why I had even bothered. I honestly began to believe I would have been better off working at McDonalds.

I was the unlucky cohort to first get stung with the 9000 a year as well, which I'm sure you can agree is ridiculous. I completed my A levels when tuition fees were still 3500 a year, and they decided to change this as soon as I started university.

My reasoning is, if people conform to the system it enables it to stay the same. Only through collective rebellion will change happen. By conforming to the system one is as bad as those who created it...

18. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

That's absolutely ludicrous. You don't actually believe you're a social activist by not paying back a loan you'd agreed to do you?

Why not take a mortgage on a house and then not pay it back? Houses are far too expensive nowadays. If enough revolutionary heroes like you don't pay them back then maybe they'll reduce the prices.

:D:D:D

19. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

20. ed717

ed717 New commenter

I see your point, but where does it end? What if they triple the fees again? Will everyone just continue to accept whatever the Tories throw at us? They are trying to make education only a thing for the rich again and must be stopped.
    Should the flow of repayments dry up, they will realise that it is not a sustainable system, and they need to stop lining their pockets and invest in education as most other countries do. The salary I earn here doesn't even meet the threshold I believe, and many of my friends do not meet the threshold for making repayments either. How on earth can this system continue to even exist!?

Even the country I currently live in is pretty low income and just 10 years out of a 30 year long civil war, and they can manage to have a free university system!