1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student loan elligibility

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by uu15926, Aug 21, 2017.

1. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

I start my PGCE in September, and am now waiting on my student loan, as I applied late. I was led to believe that the student loan was fairly automatic, but it now looks like I'm ineligible.

1. The government Teacher training funding page mentions that postgraduates can get funding for the ITT course, as does the Get into Teaching page.

2. But later on, Page 7. Eligibility, mentions that "You’ll usually get student finance only if you’re doing your first higher education qualification", which would exclude all postgraduates!

3. Another government page on loans states that you won't get a loan (a) if you have a Master, which I do (b) your course has to be a "full" course worth at least 120 points, whereas mine is 60 points.
    Will I not get a loan?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The only definitive answer to an individual query would be from the student loans company. I have never heard of anyone being refused a loan for ITT.I believe they regard it as an extension of the existing undergraduate loan hence the confusion re eligibility.