1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Loan/Bursary etc...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by thebaines, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Although I'm still due to have an interview for a PGCE Primry course, I was looking ahead financially at student loans and bursaries. I have 2.1 which I understand would mean i'm due £5,000 bursary but from the student loan calculator it appears I'm not due a student loan to cover the cost of the course (even though for the honours degree I got I didn't get a student loan). Can anyone shed more light on this if this is correct..?

2. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

The 5000 bursary comes from the TDA and isn't based on income, so that's a separate thing to student finance. You are entitled to full student finance for full-time postgraduate initial teaching training, even though the calculator is telling you otherwise. You can get tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and any supplementary grants as applicable (subject to standard SFE eligibility criteria). Hope that helps, and good luck with your interview!

3. Wow - thats interesting. Why is it wrong? It's a big help to know that finance will be there because I'm in a position where I need all the help possible (and as little scrimping into my savings as possible too)

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I got over 3k student loan and also about 3k student grant for my PGCE.
    The student finance calculator does indicate that you won't get a loan but I think if you add in that you are completing a course of further education and do not enter your bursary rate, it comes out with the correct figure.