1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Instagram Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Personal' started by evansfarida, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Advice Needed! My son has been a victim of identity theft on Instagram. He is too young for social media (11 years), however many of his school friends use it and someone has set up an account in his name- basically fraudulent. Instagram will not block it when I tried to report, as he is too young to have an account!- crazy! Has anyone had similar issues and if so, what was your course of action? Did you deal with it as a subject in assembly for example? Insist that students unfollow and block? I am currently teaching internationally and my son attends the school where I work. Feedback appreciated. The school suspects that it is a prank by a fellow student. There have only been 2 posts on the bogus account and both are dated back to January. However, this person could still be messaging privately and the kids do not know who it is, so very dangerous in my opinion.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In the UK Identity theft is a crime, so I'd go to the police. Of course where you are, I can't say. Keep on at Instagram, threaten them with bad publicity?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It is dangerous... it ''could'' be for grooming... so I agree with Frank, report it to the police. Instagram may listen to them.

4. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

What do you mean by identity theft?. An Instagram account can be set up with any name, text string you want. Is it his real name and images?
    Instagram have a form to enable parents to report fake accounts like this if you provide ID. Why will they not accept your complaint?