1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student giving me gifts, unsure of appropriate reaction

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by CandleStickInTheDrawingRoom, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hi all, this may sound very trivial and not much of a dilemma. However I wanted some thoughts on how to deal with a student who keeps giving me gifts.
    I first mentioned that partner wants to try coloured contacts - two days later she handed me a set of blue contacts for him to try. I regularly wear 'blingy' bracelets, after commenting that I had lost one, she brought me one in... still in a gift bag and un-opened packet.
    The latest gift is a boxed, beautiful earrings and necklace set.
    Each time I have protested that I cannot accept the gifts - when I say this she gets very upset.
    The student is 15 and not from an affluent background.
    Should I phone home and check the gifts are indeed hers to give, offer money, or give them back regardless of how upset she gets?
    Suggestions please

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I think if it were me, my first step would be to inform the HT - so that there is no accusation of soliciting gifts further down the line. I suspect that phoning home would be the right next step - saying that you really appreciate the gifts, but you don't want this girl to feel that she needs to do it. Interested to see what others think.

3. It's a strange one isn't it? I get lots of gifts at Christmas and end of year so didn't really think much of it until third gift; when it dawned on me that wasn't a special occasion and a definite pattern was developing.

Thanks for the advice, I shall take the gifts back into school and keep in desk drawer. Will inform my Line Manager tomorrow.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would speak to the child's HOY rather than the HT. There may be a history of this.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's what I would advise. It's what I did when a Y11 boy that I taught kept asking me out when I was 24!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Please reassure us that this chappie isn't now your husband! ;)

7. Oh, how I giggled when I read this!!!!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ooer, no! I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'd look once at a pupil. I wasn't even flattered, as he was well strange.
    I was never the type to get fancied by the boys I've taught, I should add. Just him.