1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student forces Cambridge to drop white authors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ellakits

Ellakits Occasional commenter

A great number of the things we depend on exist due to the influence of non-white cultures. I wish this was celebrated more.

But the person who led the assembly on black inventors concentrated on inventions in the last 200 years, his claims weren't all that helpful in promoting the achievements of BAME inventors.

There was a fantastic programme on the digit zero years ago. That's the sort of thing he should have been telling the kids - pointing out how many things require zeroes to work, such as computers, written subtraction (as a means of calculation, not just recording the event), long division etc. We wouldn't have got very far if we'd stuck with Roman numerals. Just as well ideas spread from other parts of the world, isn't it?

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

You ain't got nothing without a zero

sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  3. Didactylos4

True but they weren't above writing fiction (especially historical fiction)
    There are some wonderful examples of this

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

The earliest English novel was Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress published in 1678. May I remind all interested parties that literature also includes poetry and plays. Gamma Gurton's Needle is acknowledged to be the first published play in English in 1575.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

To the mathematician who invented the zero; thanks for nothing!

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sounds much more fun than bashing my head against books.

Moony likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And yet our possession of the ''Zero'' is an example of Empire as a mode of cultural transmission.

If people ascribe to the ''Empire is all bad'' school of thought then they should stop using 'zero'.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's astonishing, isn't it. The idea that we shouldn't study BAD things. We'd end up only ever studying maths. Actually better not to study anything because even maths can be USED for (imagine Trump saying this) BAD things. Bad. Very bad.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nooooo

Maths is racist GDW... Elle posted a link earlier...

We should all be ignorant...it's the only solution... we give up education and civilisation and return back to the caves. Bagsie the damp dank corner alcove next to the bear dung!

elledriver likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

For those where sound has little meaning and vision is the most important of the senses, handwaving applause is entirely appropriate.

Is 'Jazz Hands' handwaving applause appropriate for blind people? I suspect not!

I was referring to the Oxford University conference where delegates told to use jazz hands because clapping 'triggers anxiety'.

That said, I should not be averse to the use of snipers at classical music concerts (I go to quite a few) taking out people who consider whooping an appropriate means of communicating approval.

11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

If someone's anxiety is acute enough that clapping can set off a strong reaction then it's a reasonable adjustment to do a visual based applause. There was a TED talk I watched about a woman talking about her experiences with an illness that has completely derailed her life, she was studying for a PhD when it struck her. She was an intense sensitivity to sounds so the audience were asked to do a visual applause to accommodate that reasonable adjustment.

Just as a side note visual applause and jazz hands are different.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Again, I'm a bit surprised by this because 30 years ago my Shakespeare course included a section on post-colonial interpretations. Is it really so controversial now?
    I think trigger warnings get a hard time. Nobody is suggesting these things shouldn't be studied. A trigger warning merely lets people know the subject matter coming up so that if it's something they are likely to have a strong emotional reaction to they have a bit of time to prepare themselves for it. I've been giving trigger warnings to pupils long before I'd ever heard the term - this bit is very sad/shocking/scary/deals with issue XYZ etc.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Now I've read the whole letter, I have to say Cambridge seems decidedly behind the times. There's nothing on that list that's unreasonable and most of it has been happening in other (excellent) universities for years.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

There's a surprise.......

Orkrider2, Flere-Imsaho and emerald52 like this.
  15. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

It does and it includes anyone whom is not born in the indigenous population of the UK. It is a strange name I must say.

16. delmamerchant

What do you mean?

17. delmamerchant

Never heard of BAME as black is a political term that includes anyone whom is not white.

18. delmamerchant

It is

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Black is the new white?;)