1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student finance

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Rodgered, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place for this but am currently being assessed for a maintenance loan and I told them I would not be working during the pgce. However as I still have not got my loan I have to work to support myself. Will student finance see this and deduct me? I plan on quitting as soon as I get the loan! Thanks

2. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

You'll have to talk to them about it and get some advice. Chances are you aren't going to earn enough in a matter of weeks (I presume) to make a difference.

3. I believe from previous experience, they already account for you earning about £1000-1500 during the academic period anyway. Think you have to declare anything higher- unless this has changed. I work a month in hand and will get paid for a month whilst on the PGCE, I am not worried about it. Not like we can work lots to make that much of a difference!! [​IMG]

4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Did the application form actually ask if you would be working during your PGCE? I don't remember this - student finance normally tell you not to include any potential earnings from part-time work during your course so it shouldn't affect anything at all. Unless you are doing the course part-time and on release from an otherwise full-time job I can't see why this could be a problem.

5. For some reason I thought that there was a question regards potential earnings. Anyway honesty is the best policy so I rang them and they said that part time work would not affect my application for a loan and grant!

Thanks to you all