1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Finance

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Mackem85, May 19, 2011.

1. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I've been out of uni a while and am a bit confused about the student finance procedure. I will not be earning anything next year, so I will be entitled to something. Can someone please advise me on what forms I need to fill in, how to get them, and if I need to send proof of earnings etc? Thanks

2. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I've been out of uni a while and am a bit confused about the student finance procedure. I will not be earning anything next year, so I will be entitled to something. Can someone please advise me on what forms I need to fill in, how to get them, and if I need to send proof of earnings etc? Thanks

3. Hi,
    Can anyone clarify that I applied for finance correctly.
    So I am over 25, living on my own, starting PGCE Primary. I have been told I will receive a maintainance loan of £3,564.00 and a tuition fee loan of £3,375.00.
    What is a maintainance grant, is this the same as the maintainance loan?
    Any clarification would be great (confused.com [​IMG])
    Thanks!

4. the loan is a loan, which you have to pay back, the grant does not have to be paid back.

Or at least this is my understanding :)

5. OK, now I have Q, for section 4 (about your course) Qf "where will you spend most of your time studying in the academic year? You have to answer "University or college", "Study abroad" or "placement in the UK or abroad" for each 3 terms. Which should we choose?

6. PGCE students enter 'university or college' for all three terms in this one - should say so in the guidance notes somewhere.

7. Thanks a lot Doudou, I couldn't find anything in the guidance notes, but may well have missed it.

8. Hi, so you will receive the maintenance loan and on top of that amount you will receive what ever amount of grant money they have allocated you. The extra maintenance grant money doesn't need paying back.

9. Hi,

I rang Student Finance today, I had applied not to be means tested which meant I would not have got the maintenance grant, luckily I realised, so now I have to fill out another form....

Here was me thinking I was all organised!

Thanks for the advice.