1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Finance - I can help with any queries

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Alec2005, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Most High St banks offer student/graduate accounts, but not all of them seem to offer one to PGCE students. One that does is NatWest. You can either open online and take your ID to a local branch, or better still, go to the town/city where you're going to study and go to a branch near your uni, where there are bound to be special student bankers who are au fait with ins and outs of student finance. Usually you get up to around £2000 in free overdraft - no interest or charges, and possibly more on special terms. You normally get freebies with student account, such as shopping vouchers, free railcard or straight £50 to £100 added to your account.

2. hi,
    thanks for your answer. I just went to the homepage of Natwest and other providers only to find out that I have to be a uk resident for the last 3 years to meet the eligibilty criteria. This criterion is quite annoying as it already hinders me to take advantage of student grants... It's ridiculous given that I've been living here for 18 months, be an EU-citizen and I'll be taking on a course which will almost certainly lead into the uk job market.
    Just to help me budgeting: at what time can I expect the first installment of the bursary?
    thanks again

3. If you talk personally to a student banker in a branch, they may be more flexible about your eligibility. Do you have any UK bank account or savings account in your name? If so, take along details.
    Your first bursary instalment should hit your bank account in the first week of October, but this varies between unis.

4. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I graduated in 2008 and have a graduate account with Lloyds TSB. I'm really interested in a Natwest student account as I will be commuting to uni and would love the free student railcard! Would I be elible to apply even though I have a graduate account with another bank?

5. Why not, unless yopu tell them! Some banks are rather cautious and won't give you freebies until your grant/bursary/loan goes into that account.
    I had Natwest Student account during PGCE, while keeping my main account elsewhere. No problems about getting the free gifts, but things may have become tougher since!

6. OK, so I have just checked the progress of my Student loan application form and it says that I am entitled to £3,293 for the Maintenance Loan and £0 for the tuition fees loan - WHY??? I am currently on hold with the Student loans people but getting more and more frustrated. Is it because I haven't submitted all my evidence yet? Or my hubbys details??? If not then HELP - I won't be able to do the course if I can't get the loan. Hubby's earnings will be about £25k next year as they have been for the past few years. When I did the estimate thingy on-line it said that I would be entitled to the full amount. Any ideas anyone?
    Also how much does it cost per minute to phone Student Loans???

7. Anyone can have tuition fee loan up to the full amount charged - £3290. It's not subject to income assessment. The only two things I can thing of is that either they've messed up your application (not unknown!) or you've failed to claim it on Loan Request Form.

8. I'll go for the first - messed up the application one then, seeing as it quite clearly states I have applied for the maximum tuition fees loan !!! Am still on hold - they will be closing soon !!! Thanks for the quick response Alec2005.

9. They did exactly the same with me, don't worry.
    They did include a 'Loan Request Form' with my assessment though, so I've just sent that off. I'm used to them mucking me around now, as they have thousands of other students, so I tend to just shrug it off!!

10. Hello everybody,
    I was told yesterday that I willl have an interview by the end of May at the University of Leeds.
    I am soooooooo glad!
    I am a french student and I want to pay my uni fees with a loan from student finance.
    When should I apply to be ready to pay the fees in September? I hope it is not too late?
    Any help would be appreciated,[​IMG]
    Thanks a lot.

11. I see the lies have again started at Student Finance again.

I did my application online on 28 January 2010 and was told it would take up to 6 weeks to process. I called on 7th Feb to confirm that it was received and I was told yes it was.
    Called them last Weds and I was told they have no record of my application for 2010/11, and once again the website is down and the phonelines are busy again since yesterday.

12. I had the same problem, I applied for everything I am entitled to and when I got my letter back telling me what I was getting, it said maintenance grant £3,293 and for maintenance loan and tutition fee loan £0.
    I phoned them and was told I hadn't applied for the loans (even though I did) so I have just downloaded the forms to re send as it seems easier than trying to argue with them!

13. I was waiting for 38 mins on the phone to SFE and when finally got through, they hung up.
    They are a ****** lot as they avoid communicating with applicants. Last year you could email them or have a livechat, then with all the problems they had, they removed the email and livechat from the site so all you could so was call them.
    When you call them they make up lies like they have not received your application, or your course is not listed.
    Someone uploaded a private number for SFE last year and they got a shock when half the country called them on that number.
    And you still cannot contact them online.
    I fear that this year will be a repeat of last year. My course started 4 September 2009 and I got my money on 15 December 2009. I got into a lot of financial trouble over it.
    My application this year is a continuing application as I am doing a 2 year Cert Ed, and yet they still managed to lose my application AGAIN! and my online status says Awaiting Assessment.
    It was Awaiting Assessment between February 2009 and November 2009 last year, nearly 11 months.

14. I was waiting for over half an hour last night - I finally got through to be told that the reason my loan states £0 is that the course I put on my application form isn't on their database and is therefore not recognised !!! Apparantly they have written to BG but I am going to check that tomorrow - am not impressed. I sent off my partner's form today along with my marriage certificate and his P60 - I am just hoping that they will get sent back. I couldn't send them recorded or similar as you have to send them to a PO box - I wasn't impressed, hubby is even less impressed that I actually sent them off, but what else could I do. Just have to cross my fingers that I get them back promtly. I need to send my marriage certificate off to College as sonn as I get it back.

15. Details are under http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_10035219

16. Dear Jennifer/Alec
    I plan to start a secondary PGCE in september, and as my course entitles me to the £9,000 bursary (which from reading this thread I now know I will be paid directly through my Uni) I have decided this is enough to live off without applying for any loans (I don't want any more debt as I haven't paid off my old student loan yet). However, also from reading this thread I see there is a maintenance grant available from SLC that doesn't need to be paid back. I currently live with my parents who between them earn more than £50k, but I am (almost) 25 and thus I assume will be classed as an independent student. Am I eligible for the maintenance grant?
    Thank you in advance.

17. Provided you turn 25 on or before 1st September 2010, you will be an independent student and won't be assessed on your parents' earnings. As you aren't married or have a co-habiting partner, all you need to declare is any estimated, unearned income during PGCE, such as bank interest, rental income and investment income. If it comes to £25k or less, you will get the full maintenance grant of £2906. Apply online at Student Finance section of direct,gov.uk or download PN1 and send it in.

18. Fantastic, thank you. [​IMG]

19. Err I've been trying to apply for a student loan but when I reach the page which asks if Ucas can send them your course details and click 'Ok'
    I get met with this:

Secure Connection Failed

secure.studentfinancedirect.co.uk uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 03/08/2009 01:59.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

If I hit back it asks me to resend information then gives me the same problem, refresh does nothing, so essentially I can't do anything. Getting extremely frustrated at wasted time when I could be getting this application done with. Has anyone been met with the same thing? I've never seen that error before and my laptop is otherwise fine.

20. Most likely explanation is that the website has some problems, a software bug, which will no doubt be put right during business hours. Return to the web page tomorrow and retry, or download PN1, complete and send off.