1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Student Finance - I can help with any queries

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Alec2005, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. Thanks for your help Alec - I don't turn 25 until November this year so I guess no.3 is irrelevant!
  2. Hi,

    I'm an EU student, starting my secondary PGCE in September. I know I'll get the £6000 bursary for my course, but I wasn't sure about a maintenance loan or grant.

    I'm 27, have been working part time since November 2008. I'm currently living with my parents.

    Is it possible to get a loan for my fees and then use the bursary to pay for rent? Or is it possible to get a loan for rent?

    Thanks, Eli
  3. If you are an EU student living outside UK, then you are only eligible for bursary and tuition fee loan. You won't get maintenance grant or loan. Bursary payment is made monthly from October straight into your bank account, and you are free to use it in any way you choose, including paying rent. You apply for tuition fee loan direct at EU Team at Student Finance. Your bursary will be all arranged by your uni, so nothing for you to do.
    See if your country can offer any loans for studying in UK, and investigate opening a student/graduate account with a UK bank - this comes with free overdraft (up to around £2000) and other freebies, like rail card and shopping vouchers. In any case you will probably need a UK bank account to receive your bursary.
  4. My application for finance is being assessed currently but how long does this process take place? I hate worrying about finances so hoping its not too long a process.
  5. Hello,

    My name is Stephanie and I have several questions.

    1) I am French but I'm living in the uk since September 2009. I have been in the UK before (1st date of entry September 2003 and I stayed 10 months).

    I am applying for PGCE Primary in Manchester and I got in. I was under the assumption that I would be considered a EU Student since I have not been living in the UK for 3 years or more and thus thought I would not be entitled to anything else than the tuition fee loan and the ITT training grant.

    However I have juste received my application pack from Manchester and they have assessed my status as being a Home student.

    So my question: does Student Finance will follow Manchester's lead and consider me a Home student, thus entitling me to a maintenance loan, or will they still consider me an EU Student.

    2) Manchester also state in their application pack that provided I live in England I could also be entitled to a maintenance grant of £1106 regardless of household income and a further £1800 dependent on household income.
    So my question is: I currently live in Wales but will be living in Manchester when I start the course, am I still eligible for the "regardless of household income grant"?
    Considering the "household income dependent" grant, well my parents live in France and I have not lived with them since I was 19 (I'm now 28) in 2000, so will they consider me independent? and if so, will they check my previous French payslips and all?

    Thank you for any advice and for setting up this great thread.
  6. Hi everyone! :)
    I have a few questions please...
    * Currently, I'm trying to save up for my PGCE Secondary English course fees (start in Sept, 2010) but I don't know if I'll be able to save up the money in time, so I was told I should just apply for a student loan and come Sept, if I've saved up the right amount, I don't have to go ahead with the student loan but can still get the maintenance loan...and if I haven't, then I can take the lot...can someone please confirm this is right?
    * Also,currently I am employed as a permanent part-timer and sometimes I get temporary work in schools...what will I put down as my income on the form? Do I include the temporary job? (I'm 26 and live at home with my parents.) I probably make about 8grand annual income in the permanent job and as for the temporary job, well I'm paid weekly and like I said, sometimes I get work and sometimes I don't! What a hassle!

    Thank you very much in advance :)
  7. Hi Alec / Jennifer.
    I've just got the fabulous news that I've been accepted on to a PGCE course. I thought I'd get the finance ball rolling as soon as possible but have 'come a-cropper' at the first hurdle [​IMG]
    The Student finance website want to know if I've been living in the UK for the past 3 years.
    I went to Australia in October 2007 on a working holiday and didn't return to the UK until September 2008. Technically, I haven't lived in the UK for the past 3 years but as I went to Australia on a 'working HOLIDAY visa' can I count the 11 months I was out of the country as a holiday and therefore techinically still a resident of the UK?

    I wouldn't want to make a false declaration on the form but I also don't want to not be eligiable as a home student. Any advice would be gratfully recieved. Thanks in advance.
  8. It varies hugely, depending on how busy they are, how straightforward your case is, whether you've submitted (and they've received) all supporting evidence, and so on. They used to say 6 weeks, but apparently they don't give any indication now.
  9. You have only lived why you have been assesed as home student by Univ of Manchester, as you will have only lived in UK for 1 year and 10 months by the time you start. By regardless of what their decision, Student Finance assess your case independently, and based on information given, they will class you as EU student.
    See my answer above, and so you are unlikely to be eligible for maintenance grant. If you were, you would be classed as independent because you are over 25, and provided you were ordinarily resident in England at the point of applying for finance, you would be eligible to apply to Student Finance.
  10. I don't quite understand what you mean. True, you can always apply for a loan but decline it before you start your course just by getting in touch with Student Finance. BTW, student loan and maintenance loan are the same thing. If you mean maintenance grant (free money, no need to repay), anyone whose household income up to £25k gets the full amount, and up to £50020 a part grant.
    Your current income isn't relevant for income assessment - the only amount you need to put down is expected unearned income during PGCE, such as investment income, bank interest and so on. You are an independent student because of your age, so you don't have to disclose anyone else's income (you aren't married or in civil partnership but still living with your parents?)
  11. As your stay in Australia was temporary, you can still be regarded as having been ordinarily resident in UK. You may need to submit evidence of the 'temporary' nature of your stay, such as the copy of your WHV and any employment contract you've worked under in Australia. I think a photocopy of the relevant page of your passport showing your Australian visa will probably suffice.
  12. Thaicowman

    Thaicowman New commenter

    Hi. I have also been working abroad, on a temporary basis, for the last few years. However, as I was assessed as a "home student" by the University (after giving them a letter from my employer, detailing my fixed-term contracts) I stated that I had been living in the UK for the past 3 years, just to save having to send more letters. Will this come back to haunt me, or do you think I will be ok?

    Thanks if you can help!
  13. Probably you will get away, but not recommended as the system relies on people being truthful, and prospective teachers should be seen to be beyond reproach in integrity asnd honesty. You only need to make one extra copy of your evidence to send it off.
  14. Thanks for your advice, Alec. So should I tick 'no' for not living in the UK for the past 3 years and hope that the online application gives me the opportunity to explain my absence from the UK, later on in the form?

    Or should I tick 'yes' for living in the UK for the past 3 years and if they quirie me, then present my visa from my passport?

    I appologise if you feel that you're spoon feeding me the information. I just want to do the right thing in the long run.
  15. You should be truthful and say you have been out of UK, then explain the nature of your absence. Send in your evidence when asked.
  16. Wicked. Thanks for the clarification.
  17. This is something I had been worrying about too.

    I called Student Finance to double check and to see what kind of evidence I might need
    only to be told that I wouldn't be classed as temporary due to the length of time that I had spent out of
    the country (6 years in total, on one year contracts, coming back almost every year for a few weeks).

    (That was my second call, I called last year some time as well, that time they said I would be ok, as Alec2005 said)
  18. Also, I thought Student Finance only dealt with loans and grants?

    I spoke to TDA and they told me that bursaries are also handled by them, though other people seem to be saying that comes from uni.

    Thanks :)
  19. I have just applied for Year Two of my course fees online and Year One of Cert Ed finishes at Central Sussex College.

    Will SF do it correctly this time and give me the same amounts as last year, or will I be subject to more lies and dishonesty by SFE and getting my loan paid out 4 months into the course.
  20. There are two kinds of 'bursaries' as apply to student teachers. One is the training bursary of £4k to £9k, which is paid by TDA through unis to each student. Student Finance has nothing to do with it and asking them about it only confuses the matter. You don't have to apply as your training provider will organise it for you. The only thing you need to bear in mind is that your uni will need to know how your tuition fees are to be paid. If you are getting a loan from SF, then you may need to tell your uni about it, and if you are paying any part yourself, they may ask you to complete a standing order before releasing your payment.
    The other bursary is what your uni gives to anyone who is usually entitled to full support from SF, and not just to student teachers. The way it normally works is you agree your financial details on PN1 or online application to be shared with your uni, who will then work out if you are eligible for their bursary, which can be from a few hundred to a thousand (amount varies).

Share This Page