1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Student Bank Account

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by evilpixie, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mypseudonym

mypseudonym New commenter

You should be entitled to a student account with most of the big banks.

I opened my first student account in 2001 and I finished my undergrad in 2006 like you. I worked for 5 years and I am starting my PGCE tomorrow (Eek!)

I just went into a branch of my bank with my offer letter and my acceptance confirmation, as well as the proof I had met the conditions. I filled out an application for the student account and the girl in the branch switched my cuurent account over to a student account right there and then.

I just wanted the interest free overdraft - that £2500 interest free will be used for emergencies and throughout next summer to pay my rent if I fail to find a full time post by the end of the PGCE.

My bank is RBS btw.

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I disagree! I've had nothing but problems with smile. They've taken my overdraft away 4 times when they weren't meant to. Each time refusing to put it back saying that they couldn't because it had already been taken away and then finally, after making it clear I wasn't going to just go away they suddenly realised that actually, yes they can put it back. I've had them make an error when transferring over £1000 and they sent it to the wrong account and then took 4 weeks for them to get it back to my account! I lived in Thailand for 6 months and gave them that address though they spent the first 2 months sending letters to my home address rather than Thailand. Then when I moved back, I gave them my new address back in the UK. After ordering 2 new cards and a pin number and neither of them arriving I asked what was going on and it turned out that they'd updated my address but had spent the past 3/4 months sending all of my correspondence to Thailand, where someone else now lives at my address there. So not impressed with that at all! Though they are good in the fact that you speak to people in the UK. Other than that, I wouldn't rate or recommend them personally.