1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

student and stolen camera

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by phlogiston, May 26, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

I feel your frustration.
    Perhaps the school could have asked if anyone saw anything. I suspect that trying to track down a culprit may be fruitless - especially 2 days before a holiday.
    Your union membership may contain theft insurance. This may well involve contacting the police - but could be a good excuse.
    I hope it turns up.
    I try to avoid taking anything too valuable in with me.
    P

2. Thank you. I'm not naive enough to expect it back or to find out who took it, it's more the principle of the school not considering it a subject worth raising with all employees etc. *deep sigh*. Unfortunately no, the school use Tuff cams so no possibility of it being a borrowed by mistake affair. However, I was told that after a mobile was stolen a few months ago the SIM card turned up a few days later, so maybe my memory card will. Anyway, the camera is one that needs the battery charging with an adapter plugged into the mains and a special adapter to download any photo's, so maybe the perp will return it after realising they can't use it. I'm usually vigilant with packing everything of my own back in my handbag but just made silly mistake yesterday. Oh well. I will see what happens tomorrow and will phone the union in confidence.

3. I spoke again to the head and told him I would be contacting the police to get advice, and he agreed to let me send a memo to all classes. Later that day sent a memo to each class describing the camera and offering a reward (not specifying what), for its return. Next day, it turned up in the yr 6 classroom, complete with memory card. Head apologised for preventing the action being taken further, and agreed that he should have allowed me to speak to people sooner. I'm just over the moon it's back!

4. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

good news in the end then. apart from it going missing, am i the only one who thinks it's odd that no one seemed bothered that there were photos of children on the camera?

5. Langteacher is right to point this issue out as a central problem.
    Your school's e-safety policy should have forewarned you about the problems that surround retaining images of children on your own camera. The plain fact is that now the images in question could literally be anyhwhere -you don't know who has had the camera or what they did while they had it.
    Hopefully nothing more will come of this but for future ref - get the kid's images off the memory card, onto a dvd and into the school safe - never ever put yourself in a position where an anonymous tip-off to the police could be 'and s/he's got pix of my kids'.
    ...Oh and my money's on the cleaner.......

6. When I was on placement I was actively encouraged by my department to take pictures of the kids on my own camera, mainly so the school could make use of them.

7. I wasn't being defensive Langteacher, I appreciate you commenting and I do think you are right, because even though i had covered myself, they weren't to know that unless they asked, especially when we don't know who had access to the photo's when it was lost. It has definitely made me question whether I will be taking it to school again, and may simply use the class Tuff cam for the last 3 weeks. I've commented on my PGCE blog to remind other students not to use their own cameras in school as well- unless they have permission from parents/ school etc.