1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Student accounts and the likes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3946, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I have a truly dire financial set up, must be said first off.
    I'm set to get full whack on maintenance loan and reasonable grant (I hope!) in September for my PGCE and my father will help as much as he can, though I'd rather limit that- he's my father, not my ATM!
    I'm trying some juggling at the moment. Someone has suggested I seek a student account again, with a different bank to my current one. I hold a graduate account with my main bank, about to enter into the 3rd year of terms. Can I hold a graduate and student account at the same time with different banks?
    Which banks are good and which are bad? My mother has told me to bank with her bank as they're good (but SHE's a good customer; I find money management harder than she does) and if I have an emergency, she can transfer immediately.
    I have a second job at the moment, which is preominantly overtime based; I'm in the process of applying for a job over summer. Is there anything I can do over my PGCE year to earn money? I've been warned off formal arrangements, even of just a shift or so a week, due to the workload of a PGCE, which seems sensible- but I've worked since I was 17 and even then, struggle like mad! The idea of not having my own income scares me.
    I know I need to be MUCH stricter with myself. I know I'll be living on Tesco value pasta. I'm even letting my hairdye fade out to my natural colour. I've stapled rudely angry notes to myself in my wallet. I've written on my cards that only supermarkets should accept them, not clothes shops. (For me, rather than the actual shopkeepers.)
    But any tips on frugality, money earning/hoarding, banking, etc. will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. I have a truly dire financial set up, must be said first off.
    I'm set to get full whack on maintenance loan and reasonable grant (I hope!) in September for my PGCE and my father will help as much as he can, though I'd rather limit that- he's my father, not my ATM!
    I'm trying some juggling at the moment. Someone has suggested I seek a student account again, with a different bank to my current one. I hold a graduate account with my main bank, about to enter into the 3rd year of terms. Can I hold a graduate and student account at the same time with different banks?
    Which banks are good and which are bad? My mother has told me to bank with her bank as they're good (but SHE's a good customer; I find money management harder than she does) and if I have an emergency, she can transfer immediately.
    I have a second job at the moment, which is preominantly overtime based; I'm in the process of applying for a job over summer. Is there anything I can do over my PGCE year to earn money? I've been warned off formal arrangements, even of just a shift or so a week, due to the workload of a PGCE, which seems sensible- but I've worked since I was 17 and even then, struggle like mad! The idea of not having my own income scares me.
    I know I need to be MUCH stricter with myself. I know I'll be living on Tesco value pasta. I'm even letting my hairdye fade out to my natural colour. I've stapled rudely angry notes to myself in my wallet. I've written on my cards that only supermarkets should accept them, not clothes shops. (For me, rather than the actual shopkeepers.)
    But any tips on frugality, money earning/hoarding, banking, etc. will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks

3. I don't see why you couldn't work through a PGCE year. I did about 20 hours when at uni and cut back to 8 or 12 when I was on placement in schools.

4. I couldn't do my current jobs- one is in a school that's 100 miles from my training provider; the other is a temporary contract that ends in August. But I'm wondering if I could do something on a part time basis.

5. What is your subject?
    You could tutor, for example.
    If your typing skills are ok, you can always earn money freelance by typing up stuff for smaller companies or even doctorates or dissertations (though most do this themselves nowadays).
    I earned some extra money all through my time off as a mother by doing the accounts for a local company in my own time.

6. My subject is English- would someone take on a trainee as a tutor though when there are so many more qualified teachers out there?
    Maybe a chat with the students' union?
    I'm willing to work all hours god sends but I don't want to compromise my career. I can cope with being tired the whole year, living off pasta and having no social life- but not to the detriment of what I'm actually there to do.