1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stuck with RE planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by merlymoo, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Am struggling with next terms unit - religion in the neighbourhood. I teach in a smalll school in the middle of nowhere, all children are white British and C of E or atheist, we are not a church school and there arent even any other "types" of church in the area such as methodist, Baptist, even the catholic church is over 20 miles away.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Am struggling with next terms unit - religion in the neighbourhood. I teach in a smalll school in the middle of nowhere, all children are white British and C of E or atheist, we are not a church school and there arent even any other "types" of church in the area such as methodist, Baptist, even the catholic church is over 20 miles away.
    Any help appreciated.

3. Just accept that your "neigbourhood" needs to be bigger than most! If your nearest big town is 30-40 miles away, just extend the definition of "neighbourhood" to cover that. If you only taught the children things that directly related to their own experience, they'd never learn anything. Its probably MORE important for children from a monoculture to learn about other faiths and denominationsbecasue they don't even have daily experience to challenge their opinions!

4. You cannot believe how insular they are - they really do need their eyes openng up to life outside their village (ive never been anywhere quite like it - they all marry each other too but thats another story) My problem is that I wanted to take them to these other places of worship rather tha just gabble on about them. Shame we cant do just a different topic.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wasn't it Jesus who was asked "Who is my neighbour?", so take his reply -story of Good Samaritan, to include as wide an area as possible as burneshunter suggests.
    Could link it with a geography - another similar environment with different religions. e. g. compare your small village with a similar one somewhere else in the world and look at religions there?

6. Good idea - think I'll swap it to the summer when we do Chembakkoli. Thanks

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Now that's good thinking. There's loads of internet resources for children to 'see for themselves' .

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you can link it to beliefs of the past
    in the neighbourhood.what do folk believe.what in their family .themselves
    look at www.reonline.co.uk i think
    think sideways and in the neighbourhood is variance in the school,amongst freinds,teachers?
    how do folks believe
    what should we belive
    how do religions affect those around them.its not just a look at a buildings or a organisation..it includes the way religion affects action and stances.....eg as in story of good samaritain

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

this place any help?
    http://www.visuallessons.com/R.E.htm

10. You could also see if you could get some links with an inner city school that isn't too far from you. You could link to ICT through emails etc and might even get a visit through that.
    Also thinking locally - you could look at the links that religion has in your own neighbourhood - such as any church community groups, look at the local paper, festivals. I know you said that you've only got CofE in the village but they might have links to other churches and faiths that they would share with you.
    What about the world as your neighbourhood? Links with an overseas school? The work of Christian Aid? The Red Cross? The Red Crescent?

11. Some great ideas - thank you (but still wish I didnt have to do it!)