1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck strategies for low ability KS3 pupils

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by dominion1, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dominion1

dominion1 New commenter

Hi

I am trying to put together a list of strategies to help low ability pupils when they are stuck rather than just asking the teacher or a friend. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Stuck with what, in particular?

When doing writing pieces, I have 'help' cards on the desks: 'WOW words' or 'Said is Dead' or 'How to Punctuate' things like that, which they can access themselves.
    In reading activities, breaking texts down into chunks, lots of highlighters (colour seems to help), presentations printed off so they can work to an end point at their own pace and in a time set by you, lots of differentiation based on the needs of the student(s)...

mrajlong likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

can they understand what they are reading?

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Your profile doesn't tell us much about what you do in education, Dominion, although your resources suggest that you have an interest in in SEN. Do you have access to teaching assistants? If so, if I were you, I would canvas their opinion on this matter as they make lessons accessible for students with learning difficulties on an individual basis every day.

Try posting your thread in the Teaching Assistants forum and see what the posters come up with there.

5. bkingsnorth

bkingsnorth New commenter

What about the system of checking before asking... Brain, Book, Buddy, Board, Boss.