1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck on application form

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by paulfowlds, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi there. I'm still looking for my first teaching post since qualifying in November 2008. I've done some supply work since then, but the memory of day-to-day teaching is fading.

I'm filling in application forms and trying to match my 'skills' from the dim and distant to those required on the person spec.

Now I know I am being completely and utterly stupid, but how can I demonstrate having a 'detailed knowledge and understanding of pupils' educational development'. I probably can, but I need to fully understand the question before I can give clear examples.

Thanks.

Paul

2. Hi there. I'm still looking for my first teaching post since qualifying in November 2008. I've done some supply work since then, but the memory of day-to-day teaching is fading.

I'm filling in application forms and trying to match my 'skills' from the dim and distant to those required on the person spec.

Now I know I am being completely and utterly stupid, but how can I demonstrate having a 'detailed knowledge and understanding of pupils' educational development'. I probably can, but I need to fully understand the question before I can give clear examples.

Thanks.

Paul

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm not really sure I understand what that means and I've got 7 years experience! It's the "detailed" part that's silly. How can one expect an NQT to have detailed knowledge of anything outside of their immediate subject knowledge unless they have extensive experience working with children in the past (in which case they probably wouldn't be applying for a mainscale post).

I think what is meant is how children learn and develop. I would maybe talk about different learning styles, assessment to support learning and provision for children with SENs (inclusing G+T).

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Firstly does the advert state the post is suitable for an NQT.
    The type of response I would expect reflects upon a teacher's experience- what age groups have been taught what pupil progression has been achieved -what views ,ideas,insights you have about how pupils learn and develop.