1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuck on a Yr1 Maths Objective - could anyone help please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mickeygeegee, May 20, 2012.

1. Hiya, I'm new to Yr 1 and not feeling that confident with some of the planning so would anybody clarify an objective for me please?
    The main objective is - 'Describe a puzzle or problem using number, practical materials and diagrams; use these to solve the problem and set the solution in the original context'.
    It has been broken down to this - 'To be able to work with a partner or in a small group to decide the best way to describe what we found out'.
    I'm just not sure what sort of activities the children should be doing to fulfil this objective?! Any help would be really appreciated, thanks so much :)

2. Hiya, I'm new to Yr 1 and not feeling that confident with some of the planning so would anybody clarify an objective for me please?
    The main objective is - 'Describe a puzzle or problem using number, practical materials and diagrams; use these to solve the problem and set the solution in the original context'.
    It has been broken down to this - 'To be able to work with a partner or in a small group to decide the best way to describe what we found out'.
    I'm just not sure what sort of activities the children should be doing to fulfil this objective?! Any help would be really appreciated, thanks so much :)

3. It's more about how they tackle a mathematical problem, than the actual maths itself.
    I would give them something such as "How many different ways can you arrange 4 coloured counters?" in pairs and ask them to verbally explain what they did and record with drawing/colouring.

4. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

In my class the children do a Maths investigation/problem solving exercise once a fortnight. I use http://nrich.maths.org/public/ most of the time but also the puzzles and problems for Years 1 and 2. There should be a copy in school and you used to be able to download it as a pdf but this link is also good http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/curriculum/math/index.php?category_id=609&s=4fb8dd5871e56d7c0b9a425143d19875.

The children work in mixed ability pairs and decide how to carry out and record the problems; I spend the session collecting evidence of how the children are tackling the problems. For the plenary the pairs have to feed back how they have tackled the problem and I usually ask the least able child in the pair to explain what they did to ensure that the most able child doesn't dominate.

It can be a tricky session at the beginning of the year but by this time of the year, if your children are pretty independent learners, things should run a bit more smoothly.

Enjoy!

5. Am I alone in thinking this objective is gobbledygook? (Not the OP's fault).Does it mean: select materials and draw a diagram to represent a number problem, and use them to solve it? What about setting the solution in the original context ? Is that writing the answer to the original problem in the same terms. Eg, respond to a problem such as "2 birds fly to one tree and 3 to another, how many birds altogether?" by drawing 2 trees, putting buttons one each, counting the total, then writing "5 birds altogether".If I read: "Describe a puzzle or problem using number, practical materials and diagrams" I would not understand it as meaning describe the problem in words, that would be,"Describe a puzzle or problem that uses number .....". Maybe I'm being pedantic, but there has to be a clearer way of saying what is meant! Sorry, I know my comment doesn't help much but I was just taken aback by the badly written objective.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nopes. I read the post and thought "I have no idea at all what the children are meant to be learning or doing, so can offer no suggestions at all."

To the OP, can you give the objective that you will share with the children, so we can then give ideas as to how they might meet it?